Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerkey Question

Options
Steve-B
Steve-B Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All this jerky talk has motivated me to give it a try. I looked at the usual websites and recipes and still had one question. Should/could a platesetter be used? Or will the temp be so low it doesn't really matter...?[p]

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    hangingjerky.jpg
    <p />Steve-B,[p]I'll throw my 2/c in here. I cook a lot of jerky and as I have never used a plate setter, it would probably work. I normally just put a shield of HD foil down so the egg just barely breathes. I cover almost all of the botom grate as you can see in the photo. There was a cool setup earlier that call for a direct cook. Looked like it worked fine.[p]Not sure if that helped or not.
    You can always e-mail me if you have any q's.
    My jerky also takes about 5 hours to finish.[p]Mick

• Unknown
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]Niiice jerky rig! Been wanting to try the tooth pick method myself... how much faster does it take then the pile/toss method?[p]Cheers, [p]Brian

• Unknown
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]If you use the pile method then I would definitely use the plate setter or some form of indirect setup. You are cooking at very low temps so a pan covered with foil would probably work fine too.[p]There are some member websites that show this very basic set up. I think GFW's web site (sorry no link) is a good one.[p]I;d reccomend the River City jerky recipe on this site... I use top round (london broil) slice 1/4 inch thick then marinate for 24 hours (or at least overnight)... set up egg for indirect and cruising @ 180 or so..... throw on some hickory chunks and put the meat on in a thin pile that I toss every two hours... in about 6 to 8 hours you'll have some damn fine jerky!.[p]
    Good luck.[p]Brian[p][p]

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Nardi,
    I am a firm believer of preperation. It takes longer, but you'll be cooking it for 5 hours anyway so what's the rush?
    I have done it both ways and this is by far my favorite. It just doesn't seem tp dry as well when it's stacked up.[p]Mick