Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Thai BBQ stove pic heavy

Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186
edited 6:19AM in EggHead Forum
Street vendors in Thailand use these simple cookers on the streets and markets.They accomodate a wok or grill grate .notice the holes in the firebox & the bottom damper..Similar to an egg.$35 Just had to have one B) Use very little charcoal.
P1010026-1.jpg
P1010027-2.jpg
I set it on my weber kettle to get it off the ground
P1010029-2.jpg
Shrimp fried rice
P1010030-2.jpg
P1010031-3.jpg
broccoli beef
P1010032-3.jpg
P1010033-4.jpg

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jon,

Sweet. Is the beef dressed with ginger?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    That is very cool.
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Hey Jon,

Nice! Looks like it is a kin to the Mini.
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Very cool Jon!! Is that the place you emailed me about? I need to take a road trip there.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Very cool.
    Someone posted a few months back with a similar one, maybe a little smaller that is marketed as a table top or serving grill, sort of like a Fondue arrangment where you grill small skewers at the table.
  • Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Steve,
    The sauce is:
    2tbls oyster sauce
    2 tsp dark soy sauce
    2 tsp sherry vinegar
    1/2 tsp sesame oil
    1-1/4 tsp sugar
    1 tbls cornstarch
    There is 1/2" piece of ginger thinly sliced that is cooked with the broccoli and i added a tsp of sesame seeds
    it's a recipe out of that new Chinese cook book
    Molly,
    I ordered it from a Thai grocery in North Hollywood, CA.I found out about after reading an article on a Thai restaurant in Portland Oregon called Pok Pok that uses a couple of these stoves.Here's the link to the restaurant and grocery.
    http://grocerythai.com/thai-charcoal-stove-p-856.html

http://www.pokpokpdx.com/
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,393
    Jon, the Thai BBQ stove is sweet, anice new toy. It looks like a very efficient way to wok. Really nice pics. :) Thanks for sharing.
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 7,799
    Cool little cooker.
    Can you just put the lid on your Weber to snuff the fire?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    PE,
    Yep When I was done cooking I just put the lid on.Next morning there were still some good lump left.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,874
    i like that, might try and get one myself :)
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Jon that's very nice & simple...liked the handle....
  • Cool, screams "tailgating" to me!
  • Your cooks look great but that cooker just doesn't look right without grilled skewered meatballs, dried cuttle fish, or chicken feat on it. Some of the most common items that can be found street-side in Thailand.

Bruce
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Jon,

That thing rocks!
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 12,872
    Here's a pic from the source. Cambodia actually, but close enough. She don't need no stinkin' Weber! :lol:

km05-5%20Food%20Cambodia%20Woman%20cooking%20on%20a%20wok%20Kampong%20Cham.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

No She probably doesn't need a Weber.LOL But my knees and back do..I'm 6'3 :laugh:
    Thanks for sharing the picture.Cool!
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    The more I think about this the more I like it. Starting to wish I hadn't tossed my old Weber.