Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast ???

NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to egg an 8 lbs angus standing rib roast today. I'm going to use thirdeyes recipe and wondering if the fat cap needs to be trimmed off or left on or trimmed and tied back on?

And I'm planning on 25 - 30 min/lbs however target pull temp is 125. Make sense?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    I too use Thirdeye's method and find it great. Leave the fat cap on and cook it like you intend to. 125 internal. Always better to under cook than over cook. I also like to let it rest for about 20 minutes before I carve. Good luck with it, sounds like a good meal. Don't forget to post some pictures.

374931280.jpg
    378634367.jpg
    374931270.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I would say leave it on, or partially slice it, season underneath it and tie it back in place.

As far as cook times, here is the data I've collected so far from about 40 different people.
    When using these estimates, you must consider the carry over temperature. Using the 220°-250°pit temps, you can expect a 5° to 8° rise in the internal temperature stated below while the roast is resting. The temperatures reported are when the roast is still in the cooker. so adjust accordingly for the final temp you want.

Please report your findings, the stronger the data the more predictable the cook will be for other folks.

4 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125°

5-1/2 pound roast - 230° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125°

7 pound roast - 250° pit temp - 3 hours 40 minutes to reach 123°

7 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°

10 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120°

11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°

14 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°

15 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127°
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NoVA Bill
    Lookin' good BP. Thanks for the feedback.
  • NoVA Bill
    Thanks Wayne, I've read your Prime Rib recipe about a doz. times, I'm figuring 4 hours from start to finish at 225 - 250 to include a 10 min. rest and about 8 - 10 min. for the Milliard (sp?) transition. If I come in close on the time then :woohoo: else serve more booz. :laugh:

Cheers,