Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grid ? & plate setter ?

pci
pci Posts: 249
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you guys clean the grid after every cook? I spray it with pam but it still a pain to clean. Is it best to cover the plate setter with foil or just let the meat drip on it. I learn a little every cook about ready to try a all nighter.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I cover the platesetter most cooks. As far as grid cleaning goes it is much easier to clean when hot. Once finished cooking, I'll shut the vents then eat then go back out and clean the grill. By this time the egg has cooled somewhat I'll scrub the grid, put the DFMT, platesetter, CI grid, and everything I have for that egg back in the egg, and depending on temp I'll put the cover on.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Use foil or a drip pan on the plate setter. For the grid I just let it pre-heat and wire brush it. With the pre-heat I figure anything is long time dead in there. :silly: :woohoo:

But I try to never be in a hurry, I may fire it up and let it warm for 45 min to a couple of hours before using.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    The bits and grease left on the grid after a cook actually work as a protectant until the next cook, so it is best to lesave it on there, IMO. After you fire the Egg up for the next cook, and while you are waiting for the fire to establish itself, put the grid on to heat up and char the crap on it. After a few minutes it will clean up very easily with a standrard grill brush and is ready to cook.
    I don't wrap my plate settters in foil. Typically I use a drip pan to catch most of the drippings. Yes it gets dirty...so what. You don't coat the inside of the Egg itself with foil to keep it from getting dirty.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    When I use my platesetter I always use HDAF or a drip pan...just too easy not to.

I leave the grid on the BGE and after it heats up for a few minutes I scrape it off with a grill brush.
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    i use a disposable drip pan and put it on a grate above my plate setter, so that it does get that hot. If you use something that is not disposable, get ready for a big cleaning job afterward!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    FYI...my drip pans are not disposable. Either wrap it in HDAF and throw that away or spray the pan with Pam and it wipes clean pretty easily.