Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

USDA Prine Brisket Results

Options
Steve-B
Steve-B Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have only done two briskets since I have had the egg, but the prime one was much different than the choice I did first. The meat had a better flavor through out and was more tender even in the thinner areas. The fat veins through out were smaller, but had many more. The chunk was a 7.5lb flat with about a 3/8 inch fat cap over 90%. I cooked it at 235* dome. It took 9 hours and passed the fork test at 184*. It cooked much faster and was done at a lower temp than the choice one was. My conclusion is that if the prices are close (within reason of course) it is worth the extra cash.[p]Steve-B

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]Don't recall if you said. How much was this beast per lb? I've found VERY little difference between the choice and the standard briskets, although unfortunately most of the choice are cut all nice and pretty with no fat on them so hard to run a fair comparison.[p]mShark
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    mollyshark,This one was 7.5lbs. I wasn't supposed to get Prime, but they had given the Choice one for me away already. So I got lucky...and after eating it I can say I got very lucky. They had one in the case that had been trimmed and was bald of fat. The one I got hadn't been touched by anyone at the store.