Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frustrating Time/Temp Result

Options
ThunderBunny
ThunderBunny Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many of you very nice folks replied to my question last night regarding the cooker cooling off after throwing the hen on the grill. I couldn't reply to the advice as I got involved in the cook, then eating it....and then vegging out to the Olympics!
Anyway, here's the result:goodbird.jpg
Overlooking my tendency to take thoroughly unappetizing pictures, it was delicious! I can't believe how juicy this chicken was. And is. Tonight's dinner is leftovers ;)
So to wrap up, it's ok to overshoot your target temp anticipating a cool mass like a chicken. But that doesn't apply equally to burgers and steaks or low and slow projects, Right?
Thanks again, you guys....

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    For me at least steaks are done Trex style and 600 or 700 or 800 are fine to start. Then shut it down and let it cool to 400 and finish them to your temp, mine is 128 internal, really no overshoot or the start temperature possible there. Burgers run at 400 here.

Doug
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Bunny,

Don't forget that the fire doesn't change once the meat hits the grid. The dome temp simply drops for a while as the bird is taking on the btu's.