Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid height for TRex?

Options
ResQue
ResQue Posts: 1,045
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my AR in yesterday and was wondering what height the grid should be for TRex a steak. I have the CI grate as well as the one supplied with the AR and the original porcelain. Thanks.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For TRex, I would set the AR aside (if I had one) and put the grid on the fire ring.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ResQue
    Options
    Straight on sounds good. I wasn't sure if folks raised them or not. So CI on the ring it is. Thanks.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Sear as close as you can to the coals.

Roast as high as you can get in the dome -- a grid on top of the rig.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's the way I do it. I have a way to raise the grid to the gasket level, but I don't bother messing with a 650* CI grid after the sear. I just leave it alone and shut the vents to get to roasting temp.

I see Fidel raises his for the roast. He was searing steaks long before I even heard of the egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ResQue
    Options
    Got it. Thanks
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I add a 2" fire ring to the regular fire ring and get PERFECT cooking results without charing my outside surfaces.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I use my spider with the grill out of my small. about an inch from the coals. Sears real good that close.