Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

naan on the Egg

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Managed to turn out some naan on the Egg last night to accompany my Superbowl tandoori wings...it cooked in mere minutes and the food-processor dough required a minimum of attention. WHO DAT!
p20712011.jpg

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I won't even ask if you were happy with the game outcome. :laugh: :laugh:

OK, I'll spring. What's a naan?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    You'll find them in any Indian restaurant. They are cooked by sticking them to the inside sides of Tandoors, which are charcoal fired clay ovens that look quite similar to the egg.

Doug
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    It is an Indian bread. Very very tasty, chewy, delicious, wonderful, need I say more?
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Celeste, I read (and bookmarked) your blog. You say to heat the cooker to 350? I've seen naan made in tandoors and they look like little nuclear reactors. Do you really do your naan that low? Any thoughts on how hot it can be done? Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    You're right on the money about ultra-hot tandoor ovens. From what I've read, the wall temps of charcoal-fired clay ovens range from 650-900+ degrees when fully fired. On the other hand, I figure that in real world use (ie, non-restaurant use), the home cook probably doesn't always fire the thing with a full load of charcoal, so wall temps will be quite a bit lower.

The primary reason I baked at 350: I wanted wings & breads to be done at the same time. If I baked bread alone, I'd crank it up to 500-650 and roll the breads extra-thin so that they'd cook on the inside before the exteriors scorched. Just as with pizza, very high temps require thinner dough.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Unfortunately, many restaurants here use gas-fired tandoors :(

Gary
    canuckland
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Looks great. Thanks for the explanation on temps too.

Did you used a packaged spice mix for the tandori, or did you make your own. I am going to have to do some tandori soon on the BGE. Sooooo good.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I usually make a spice paste from scratch, but last night I used a mixture of nonfat yogurt, Patak's jarred tandoori paste and Penzey's dry tandoori spice blend. I was busy with the dough, so I didn't make the marinade from scratch. Note: I never add the red food coloring typical of restaurant tandoori, either.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Celeste, the naan looks gerat. The egg is a natural to fill in for a tandoori oven!