Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Would the BGE Forum Do: Cast Iron Grate

NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
TGIT everyone!! Has been a long week but Friday is just around the corner.

I really want to pull the trigger on a CI grate as my next "goodie" but I'm struggling with which one to get. I was set on getting the BGE one and then getting the third hand from thirdeye.

However, someone posted about this one (see link below) not to long ago and it seems really versatile. I haven't seen much talk about it here on the forum so I'm reluctant to give it a try.

http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/onlinestore/store us/index.html

Does anyone have any experience with this product/company?? Is it worth giving a shot? Or should I just stick with the tried and true from the mothership?

Comments

• Might get some funny looking grill marks, if you're concerned with that sort of thing. Love that griddle insert though. Would make a great place to fry the bacon and onions while the burgers are cooking! Let us know how it works if you end up getting it.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    try using a cast iron fajita plater for onions and such. Might be better than the insert, as it is mobile around the grid.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I bought one for my Large about a month ago and I like it very much. The large model has three inserts. I got the griddle piece to go with it. It makes for a very versitile setup for high heat direct cooks. I am well satisfied. B) I also bought the handle tool, wasn't sure it was worth it, but it does give you a cool handle to remove a hot insert. :P

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    if i had it to do over again i would skip the cast iron grate all together.. it was very impressive to guests to see such great sear marks.. but the attraction has faded for me but i am the one that hauls it in and out of the egg. i have the stainless and really like it. i also have a new porcelin one in my new large. i will find out how long it lasts the last two procelin ones lasted me about 3 years apiece.. just my opinion but "are sear marks really worth that important??"

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb