Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

?? loading an XLBGE

Options
rzrrob
rzrrob Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so if i am going low and slowwwww what is the best way for loading the fuel

1. do i fill it all the way up?

2. do I just start the fire in the middle

3 best way to start the fire

thanks for all the help

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    RZ...In low n slow, I am assuming you mean a long cook like a butt or something? My advice is based on that assumption.
    Fill the firebox all the way to the fire ring.

Always best to start a fire in more than one spot, especially for a low and slow. We always do a 12:00, 4:00, 8:00 start.

We use map gas and 'bbq guru golf club' for our starter, but there are MANY other options! Some even start their lump with something as simple as a rolled up paper towel drizzled with some olive oil. An electric starter, starter cubes, etc etc...the options are endless.

Wish you the best with your cook, and Happy Eggin!
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    I use an electric starter. it's pretty convenient for me, and its free!

I start it right in the middle, with the starter jammed into the levelled charcoal up to the top of the fire ring. I close the lid, open both the dampers, and walk away for 5-6 mins.

once i get a small fire going (5-6 red hot coals) i unplug the starter, and pull it out. catch the temps on your the way up and adjust your dampers accordingly.

I've gotten pretty good at setting the dampers perfectly the first time - 225* to 250*F the bottom damper is open a credit card width, 350 is an inch, 400 is an inch and a half