Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast Dilemma

uglydog
uglydog Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I cooked my first chuck roast, using the recipe from the forum cookbook. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=68&func=detail&id=890
This hunk of cow was about 3 1/4 lbs; I cooked at 300°F dome temp, using an indirect setup (platesetter legs up, cooking grid, drip pan, V-rack holding the cow). After 4 1/2 hours the internal temp was 155°F and holding; because the natives were getting hungry, I pulled Mr. Cow and wrapped him in HDAF and a towel and put him in the cooler while I baked some biscuits. Mr Cow never got nice and tender; he had a fabuous flavor from the marinade, but he was fairly tough. Is a chuck roast supposed to plateau similar to the way a pork butt plateaus? How much longer should I have cooked him?
Thanks,

Uglydog

DSCF0452.jpg
DSCF0454.jpg
DSCF0457.jpg
DSCF0456.jpg

Comments

• uglydog
    uglydog wrote:
    Today I cooked my first chuck roast, using the recipe from the forum cookbook. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=68&func=detail&id=890
    This hunk of cow was about 3 1/4 lbs; I cooked at 300°F dome temp, using an indirect setup (platesetter legs up, cooking grid, drip pan, V-rack holding the cow). After 4 1/2 hours the internal temp was 155°F and holding; because the natives were getting hungry, I pulled Mr. Cow and wrapped him in HDAF and a towel and put him in the cooler while I baked some biscuits. Mr Cow never got nice and tender; he had a fabuous flavor from the marinade, but he was fairly tough. Is a chuck roast supposed to plateau similar to the way a pork butt plateaus? How much longer should I have cooked him?
    Thanks,

Uglydog

DSCF0452.jpg
    DSCF0454.jpg
    DSCF0457.jpg
    DSCF0456.jpg
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    That's a yes on the plateau. Can't speak to how long, but my experience was similar. Pulled the roast and sliced it up like shoe leather. After dinner, but it in a crockpot for 4 more hours and the thing fell apart like buttah.

Probably needed to get to around 195. Sorry for the disappointing dinner. When I do that my family looks at me like they'll never trust me again...then they do. :P
  • uglydog
    Thanks for the info, wokon. Although the meat was tough, it was still a very flavorful dinner. I cooked the spuds and carrots in the marindae, and with the home made, egg cooked biscuits we had a pretty good dinner. It's all part of the learning curve, but this learning sure is fun.

Uglydog
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    As long as learning tastes good, I'll keep on learnin'
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I've used chuck roast to make pulled beef using Clay's BBQ Beef recipe in the cookbook section of this forum. It is definitely a family favorite.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Yep it comes from the same area on the cow as the butt is on the pig so it will cook the same. The closer to the neck the longer to get done. Moving that big head requires a lot of work.
    Emil