Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pros and Cons about replacing gaskets

Options
duchunter
duchunter Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I ahve 2 Eggs and my Med. Egg is in need of a new gasket, I have been using it and have not noticed any problems but wanted to get some other view points I should replace or not???????
Thanks Andrew

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have a small: no gasket for 2 years.
    Large and no gasket for 1 year.
    Mimi has, but will not replace when it bites the big one.
    Can cook the low and slow overnighters and what the hay for the fast cooks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I just fried the gasket on my large and have no intentions of replacing it.

The biggest reason to have the gasket is to cushion it when you close the lid.

My dad hasnt had one on his for 6 mos or so. When he was cooking in the ozarks eggfest last year one of the reps told him that cushioning is the main reason to have it.

Be carful doing HOT cooks as thats when you are most likely to drop the lid. Have a flare up burn your hand/arm and drop it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • duchunter wrote:
    I have been using it and have not noticed any problems

if there are no problems, then there's nothing to fix...
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Mothership sent me a free Nomex gasket for a large so will replace my gasket on the small just to do it once and waste a few hours of my life. Then will take the left over and use on Mini when it craps out. After that - I'll play it by ear to see if I need or want to do it again. :)

LJ
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    The nomex replacement has worked okay with my lbge. Except for my lousy handyman skills where the back of the bottom gasket came off it has held together pretty well. Where I have a gap only a little smoke comes out. However, I don't think my dome matches my base! I thought it was offset but after checking it it matches in the back and is short on the front. I don't think they matched when they put it together. I am bringing my brother-in-law over today to eat ribs and have him look at it with me. He is more handy than I am so he can figure it out. We will plan a take down and realign for a future date. It will be to hot today to do anything with since we are cooking.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I haven't had a gasket on my medium for a year and a half or so and somewhat recently burnt up the one in my large. I will not be replacing either one of them. The biggest issue for me so far has been bringing down the temp if I happen to over shoot. Of course, it's pretty tough to bring down the temp regardless of whether or not you have a gasket.
  • duchunter
    duchunter Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses as i think i am not going to worry about replacing the gasket

Happy Egging
    Andrew

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I like gaskets. My large needs a replacement and I will get around to it at some point in time - I am in do rush. What's left is pretty sad but there is gasket there. If I hear a ceramic 'clang' when I close the dome, I will be more careful and replace when I have time. I am probably just replace it with another felt gasket.

It is probably more a case of laziness rather than necessity.

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Gaskets are overrated. When mine started coming apart, I fretted. Then something odd happened: Nothing. No temperature problems, no struggling to keep them down, nothing.

Today, I've got an Egg with the top and bottom gaskets proudly scoured off, and I couldn't be happier.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've got an almost 12 year old Egg sporting the original gasket...what is left anyway. You don't really need to IMO.

That said this spring.....mine gets replaced ;)