Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru DigiQ II Arrived Today!

Options
SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are you kidding me! This product is unreal! My 5 year old can now use the egg. Set it and forget it! Light the lump choose your temp and walk away. I lit the lump and set to 350 and laughed for the next 5 hours..... Unreal product! Thanks BBQ Guru~

Comments

• thegrillster
    Options
    Why did you choose the guru over the stoker?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I don't have a Stoker and I don't know about their support.

I do have a CyberQ II and I like mine as well. I also like to be able to talk to the company I made the purchase from that makes me feel better. I have called them for support and got the help I needed. ;) Tim
  • greenfan
    Options
    I am planning on buying one or the other. I haven't yet started really digging to see which one is best, and I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum. But it is a fair question to ask:
    Which one is better for a single egg, low and slow cook?
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Well, to completely hijack this thread....

If you are fairly computer oriented, and would value monitoring and controlling your Egg from your computer or any internet device, then the Stoker is better for you, or

If you are more interested in setting up your draft controller and forgetting about it until it starts beeping, go for the Guru.

Mark
    (I have a Stoker, and love it).
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I knew you would be around sooner or later to defend Stoker. ;) Tim
  • greenfan
    Options
    I think it would be cool to follow the temps on my computer, but since it is no more than 10 steps from my back door that might be kind of over kill. Although I guess I could keep an "eye" on it on my iPhone from anywhere.
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Defend the Stoker? Sheesh Tim, I thought I offered a balanced perspective on both units, and added that I own a Stoker to reveal my own sentiments. :blush:

I completely understand that although the Stoker is vastly preferable for my needs, the Guru could well be preferable to others, for legitimate reasons.

Mark
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Greenfan - you can do more than keep an eye on it from your iphone; you can change the temperature of your Egg as well. If you have a use for that, it is a great feature. Running late? Turn down the temp to slow down the cook; running early? Crank it 50º to finish the cook for the moment you get back home.

With StokerLog, you can also use Twitter to tweet your pit/food temps; email to send you temp alerts...

Mark
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I haven't seen GG around and I know he would offer up perspectives on both. Maybe he will chime in tonight. ;) Tim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Hay, that's no fair. "If you are fairly computer oriented" I saw another post where you said the Stoker was as easy to set up as the DigiQII. :)

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    How are you doing Kent? For some reason I have been thinking about you. ;) Tim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

There are several places that detail the specifications between the Stoker and DigiQII. When I was trying to decide which one to get those specs were nice but didn't really answer the questions.

I have both, first the DigiQII (q2) then the Stoker. I originally wanted the ability to plot the cooks and I like using the powered vent system with the computer.

However, the forum seemed to favor the Guru products so I got the q2 first. Then the desire to use with the computer got to me and I ordered the Stoker.

It was easier talking with the Guru Folks than emailing Stoker, however, when I called Stoker I talked with Rocky.

I have had to take advantage of service on the q2 and the Guru folks were fantastic. Haven't needed any service with the Stoker.

Don't read anything into the service side one way or another, that's just my experience.

Taking either unit out of the box and using it, the q2 was easier. The Stoker did require reading of the manual. Once either unit was used both seemed about as easy to use as the other.

The q2 blower has a slider to restrict air flow. If using the q2 with no DFMT on the egg it is important to close the slider down when the blower is off the free air through the fan and blower won't cause the egg temperature to over shoot. If one uses the DFMT and it is all but closed then the slider/free air is not an issue.

The stoker has a gravity damper. When the blower is not in use the damper closes and no or very little free air can get into the egg.

Vertical burn in the lump can happen with either unit. Just light the lump in more than one spot.

Obviously the q2 is a one egg, one food probe and one pit probe unit with no remote monitoring. I use a Maverick ET-73 to give me remote monitoring capibility or one could use a baby monitor.

The following can be doen with or without computer or other device connection.

The stoker really shines when it comes to connecting to the computer. I can cook on one egg and have any number of food probes monitoring the food.

I can cook on multiple eggs and monitor many different food probes on any of the other eggs. Your only limit is how many blowers you own and how many food/pit probes you own. All will be controlled one stoker.

On a screen one can see the probes and blowers. To make a change simply type in the change number wanted, tab to the next change, turn on or off alarms, set ramp, set open dome, set email, twitter and a number of other options.

Press send and the stoker makes all the changes and displays a new screen with the updated information and continues on controlling the cook(s).

I did some summer sausage and was using 4 food probes in the different 'logs' of sausage. The technique I was using wanted 1 hour at 140°. 1/2 hour at 160° and the remaining cook at 180° until the 'logs' were at 156°.

I set the timer on the computer to alarm in 1 hour and set the pit temperature. At the required times I increase the cooking temperature. Alarms are set for high and low pit temps. as well as food temperatures.

If it ever quits snowing, my next work up is going to set up a cold smoke. I am going to use a smoke box (maybe the mini) which will have the blower attached. The pit probe controlling the smoke box (mini) will be in the large with the food. I will additional probes in the food. I am thinking I will be able to control a 70° - 90° smoke temperature pretty easily. Other than multiple food probes either the q2 or Stoker will be able to handle this.

When it is warmer weather I am going to take stoker blower and have it via a relay control a 110v hot plate for cold smoking.

The Stoker folks sub contract out some parts. If they don't forecast incoming orders or have enough on hand stock or if orders come in too quickly they seem to have a back order situation. You have read some of the recent posts about that.

Anyway, there are some of the things that are not covered in reading the specifications of each unit.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Other than a really crappy day, doin OK.

My previous mortgage holder was caught up in the government closures and my loan was transferred to a new servicing company.

I have been on the phone with someone in Chumbawamba of which I can hardly understand them through their accent.

Anyway the old mortgage company shows they paid the property insurance and the insurance company says it hasn't been paid. The insurance company wants me to send a payment.

The new servicing company shows enough money in the escrow account to cover the premium.

Both mortgage companies are saying it's been paid and all is fine. The insurance company says the policy will be canceled in 8 days.

Other than that... :laugh: things are OK.

Oh, and the skys are black as can be due to one of the pacific storms finally getting here we are in for some big snow storms. The only good thing about that is I hope it gets to Molly's house so I can see some snow on the ground behind her eggs. She has been putting up too many pictures with no snow in them for this time of year.

Hope all is well with you Tim.

Kent
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Well Kent, I don't have exciting news like you so I am humble. We don't have any snow and it's been in the 50°. We had a killer tornado a couple years ago this February because unseasonably warm days met cold fronts so then president Bush came to see us. Other than rain and thunderstorms we are just fine. I hope you get things straightened out. It's no fun dealing with people with strong dialect and accents from another country. There aught to be a law. Here is wishing you well and sending blessings and prayers. Tim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Everything was fine until I read your response. That's just not fair, 50°.

All will be fine, I just hope I can get all parties talking with one another in the next few days and before I have to send more money to someone.

I made a decision any outgoing money has to go to egg stuff or guns.

We get a lot of different weather including high winds and some light earthquakes. However, we have only had one freak tornado and twice what looked like a formation of a funnel.

Right now the weather guessers are say steady snow until late Sunday. We are just below freezing now.

I have the show shovel ready and new gloves for my wife. Ouch, I just got hit on the back of the head. Hate it when she peeks over my shoulder.

Have a good night. Kent