Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket help! before it rains

Options
bgarbee
bgarbee Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just replaced my gasket with a nomex. now it seems like there is too much felt in the back and the front has a little gap. Is there something I can do (like with the screws in the back) to loosen the back a little bit and have a tight seal

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    How can there be too much "felt" if you replaced the felt gasket with Nomex? All the felt gasket should be gone.
  • bgarbee
    Options
    i just looked at it pretty carefully and I feel like the dome needs to come forward a bit. Is this possible
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rich,

Nothing gets by you does it? B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bgarbee
    Options
    Forgive me. I was under the impression this was a friendly and helpful forum. I'm just looking for some actual advice if anyone has any. That would be greatly appreciated.
  • cdnewman
    Options
    Just to clarify: what you are looking for is help aligning the top and bottom of the egg, right? The gap you are referring to is when you close the egg?

If so, you can loosen the two bands, loosen the nuts that attach the spring hinge to the bands, align the egg the way you want, then tighten lower, upper, lower rear, upper rear and you should be golden. You may also need to realign the spring hinge mechanism (sorry, don't know the official egg term) so that it is vertical. This will help with alignment as well.
  • bgarbee
    Options
    Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to know.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    This was a good explanation! I have to adjust mine as well and this gives me some confidence to give it a try. Frankly, the nomex gasket is thicker than the felt and the entire dome needs to move up which the vertical alignment may help. I just can't stop cooking on mine long enough to adjust it and reglue the backside of my gasket either! LOL!