Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Was I ever surprised! (pic heavy)

Options
NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally egged the 5 lbs bone in pork roast.

The Pork Roast:
IMG00034-2.jpg
The fix'ins:
IMG00009.jpg
All dressed up with EVOO, salt, pepper and minced garlic.
IMG00018-1.jpg
On the egg at 220 grid with cherry chunks for smoke.
IMG00020-1.jpg
Finally a nice day!
IMG00035.jpg
The finished roast, pulled at 142 degrees, set under broiler for 5 minutes to chrisp up the fat cap (do not do this with minced garlic like I did :( ) then rested while I sauteed the zucchini and spinach.
IMG00036-1.jpg
Eight beautiful chops and surprise no chine!
IMG00037.jpg
Plated with sauteed zucchini and spinach.
IMG00039-1.jpg

Wow...was I surprised at the how tender and tastful the meat was. I didn't believe the first chop tasted so good I had a second chop to confirm. :) Will definitely do this cook again most likely with my house rub for a comparison.

Personal note: I'm finished using minced garlic will graduate to cloves. Minced burns to easily and you can stuff cloves into slits in the meat which would be nice with this cook.

Comments

• Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Looks nice Bill. I have not seen that cut of pork before. Looks like a prime rib of pork. I will have to look for it next time I am at Costco.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey Dave, at $2.99/lbs it's a steal! It looked real pretty right off the egg then the burnt the garlic under the broiler. Lesson learned.

Thanks,
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Bill, I'm like Dave I have never seen that cut of pork. But, you got be believing I want to try that cook. Great post. I think I would like my rub to be on the sweet side and like you said drill some holes and bury some garlic cloves. :P Tim
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Thanks Tim, I've never had a piece of pork be so tender and succulent. It was a big surprise.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Bill,

Wouldn't do that cut any other way. Pretty juicy eh?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nice looking roast. When it fits your plans step it up to a crown roast and WOW your dinner guests.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=636653&catid=1
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Evidently, this is not an unheard of cut. I Googled "rack of pork" and came up with a bunch of hits for recipes, etc.

Here is a link that has more info on the cut.

http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/Cut_RackofPork.aspx
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey Steve, just like you said in previous post. Very juicy.

Thanks,
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey Richard, your post is very impressive. I definitely want to do the crown thing. Don't know what I'd do with 18 ribs though! :laugh: Have a party I guess.

Thanks,
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    nice. you can find garlic cloves that are already peeled...that is what I use a lot.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That looks mighty tasty Bill!! Great job!! I keep telling myself to pick one up. I do believe you spun me into doing it. Great garlic tip for the peeps. ;)
    I love fried spinich!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Trudat, I was all over the web and forum looking at recipes - lots of posts. Need some broccili rabe to do a good Italian recipe!!!

Thanks!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    The meat looks like it could go with just about any veggie.

I am going to look hard for this cut. You can't beat the price since bone in pork chops are regularly priced at about $4.00/lb, and the full roast is a lot better presentation.

Also, my wife always says pork chops are dry. Since the egg and full roast would keep in a lot of the moisture, this may be the way to fix pork chops that finally pleases her. ;)

Thanks for the post and discussion Bill and others.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey Molly,

I bought the roast on a whim then needed you and couple of others to push me to getrdun! Now I'm glad I did. Truly a surprising cook.

Thanks!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Thanks to YB in Hotlanta in '04 or so, I have been doing them for Christmas and special occasions. figure 1 bone + per adult and have a few leftover. Great for a dinner party, but the roast is perfect for a small group.

Pork, Roast, Crown, Christmas '08, Richard Fl

It is all YB's fault for teasing us with Eggtoberfest '04 & '05 and then giving us a taste at Eggtoberfest '06. After doing a 24 bone/15 lbs Christmas '06 had to do another for Christmas '08 Thank you again! Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    1 10 Lbs Pork, Roast, Crown, 13 Bones
    Marinade:
    2 Parts CHEEP Yellow Mustard
    1 Part Big'Uns Carnivore BBQ Sauce
    Indian River Pixie Dust, Rub
    Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    Side
    2 Pkgs Uncle Ben's Original Wild Rice Mixture
    6 Tbs Insian River Mango Chutney
    1 Cans Water Chestnuts, Chopped, Coarsley
    4-5 Scallions, Chopped and Sauteed
    1/2 Cup Pinion Nuts, Pignoles
    Dash Salt/Pepper & Cavender's Seasoning

Procedure:
    1 Rack ready to roast!
    2 Roast was slathered with 2 parts CHEEP yellow mustard, 1 part Big 'un's Carnivour BBQ sauce. Indian River Pixie Dust, Indian River Pepper Blend. Sat overnight in the refrigerator.. Took out 2 hours before placing on BGE. Internal temperature was 54°F when placed on BGE. Rested for about 2 hours on the counter before placing on BGE..
    3 Large BGE was set up indirect, drip pan w/water 3/4 way up. At 350°F placed the roast on the grid..
    4 Had handful of cherry chips and 4 large tablespoons of used coffee grounds for the smoke. . Brought the BGE to 325°F-350°F, Placed aluminum foil around tips of bones. Pulled, when the internal temperature reached 140°F, about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Let rest normally 30-45 minutes, but this time, had so much going on that the roast was ready 2 hours before the guests were hungry.
    5 SO, covered with aluminum foil and let sit on table in kitchen for the duration, never reheated in oven, just served with hot mushroom gravy. Worked out fine.
    6 Placed little paper frills on the bones. Sliced 1 bone/chop per person was plenty.
    7 None of this would have been possible without the kind help from Mr Crown Roast, Larry Ward, AKA "YB". Thanks Larry!!!
    SIDES SERVED:
    Rice:
    1 Mix the chutney, chopped water chestnuts, thinly sliced scallions and pine nuts. Add this to the boiling water and then the rice. Apprx 25 minutes..Prepare the Uncle Bens Original Wild rice according to package.
    Other Sides:
    1 Apple Sauce, Pork Gravy, Asparagus Grilled, Portobello Mushrooms & Sweet Onion, cut in fork size pieces, placed in aluminum foil with little butter chicken boullion, s/p and teaspoon water wrapped tightly and placed on egg 30-45 minutes while roast is cooking. Dessert of choice, ours was three layer white cake with coconut frosting.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/12/25

2007/01/02--Richard Fl---Fed 12 adults Christmas day and 6 more 3 days later. Gave some away. In the future will figure 1 1/3-1 1/4 bones per person, depending on crowd and are they big eaters.

2008/12/25--Richard Fl-- Served 6 adults Christmas day. Had 9 bones left over and they were individually food savered and are now in the freezer for future smoked pork chop dinners.

event.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    You bet. Try the Costco boneless chops on the egg. They're normally very thick and cook up very moist and tasty - can't beat'em!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Thanks, I now have your recipe is in my cookbook. Next one has to be with my rub. Also, I believe I have fallen blindly and unawares into my Kassler ripchen replacement meat - now I can make my own for New Years.
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Nova - that looks great and I bet there isn't a vampire within 50 miles of you right now! Got to love the Garlic - :laugh:

LJ
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey LJ, I do have this "air" about me righ now. Garlic = Good.

Thanks!
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    I bet you do have an "air" about you right now...and will keep it for about another week or two! :laugh: Seriously - I just showed the cook to my wife and guess what she wants me to cook this weekend - thanks for costing me at least $30 plus to feed all five of us...then add in the sides to that...you bum! :)
  • KMO_Q
    KMO_Q Posts: 150
    Options
    NoVA Bill

I was just at Costco had the same package in my hand and put it back...next time, I'll make sure I grab it and give it a try...thanks!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Very, very nice...
    I can taste it from here!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Just as any formum member, "I'm here to help". :)

Good luck with the cook!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey Kevin,

It's a no brainer cook on the egg as whitnessed by me. :) I certainly will be cooking this roast again.

Thanks,
  • NoVA Bill
    Options