Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

passover brisket experiment success w/ pics

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i wanted to try to do a traditional passover brisket for my mom's next week, but figured i'd better try it out at home first. . .so i got a nice small 3.5 pound first cut brisket and did it saturday in the egg. .. .now, mom has always done her's in the oven this way. . .put the brisket in a large pyrex dish, pour one packet of liptons onion soup mix on top, take the packet from the soup, fill it with a hearty red wine and throw that on top, seal it up good, and stick it in the oven at 350 degrees for 3 hours. .. .walla, passover brisket. . .[p]here's what i did. . ..put the brisket in my le creuset, put in one packet of lipton's onion soup, then the packet full of red wine, stuck it in the egg (raised grid over inverted plate setter at 350 degrees dome temp). . .i didn't seal the top of the pot at first, figured i'd leave it open to absorb some of the egg's magic (btw, no wood in the fire, i didn't want it smokey, just the little bit of smoke from the lump). . .after about 1/2 hour, i added more wine to keep it up to the level of the meat. . .after another 1/2 hour, i added a little more wine (i was losing some to evaporation), baby carrots and pearl onions. . at this point, i did seal the pot good with 2 layers of hdaf, and then left it for 2 more hours (a total of 3 hours). . .took it out and as you can see, it sliced beautifully, was very moist and fork tender, and the liquid from the pot w/ carrots and onions was fabulous. . .i also made a nice kugel (i was being very ethnic), and the meal was fabulous!. . ..i will definitely be doing this for passover next week and taking it to mom's. .. .[p]now for the picks . . .[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=44881bb3-61cd-20af-2233-4b7f593f5600&size=lg
[p]here it is ready do go in the egg. ..w/ liptons onion soup and red wine[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=129d7213-7ca9-183a-7572-65aa4a671d94&size=lg
[p]after the first 1/2 hour in the egg. .. [p]LinkPhoto?GUID=8ac72829-3346-73db-3948-34411a452f31&size=lg
[p]after 1 hour, added some more wine, the carrots and pearl onion. . .[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=73b27445-7c1f-a0be-24bc-26fd357b61e4&size=lg
[p]2 hours later, just out of the egg. . .the house is smellin good. .. [p]LinkPhoto?GUID=14596464-44c0-7f80-f831-661f654b65ff&size=lg
[p]and sliced and ready to serve. . .like i said, it was gooooooood. .. ..

Comments

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    le creuset huh. Mine are on order. Do you like them. I have a few that are coming in the Green color :)

• haywyre,
    you must not have been reading my stuff the past few months. ..i have 4 different pieces (all of the enameled cast iron variety). .. i LOVE my le creuset. . chili, casseroles, etc. . ..i think its some of the finest cookwear you can own and worth every dime. . fortunately i have a le creuset outlet close buy, and i have gotten some great deals (all green of course). .. all of this in my most humble of opinions of course. . .

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]What would you say wsa the major difference between egg style and mom's traditional? We're having the usual battle here. I'm along your line of thinking and of course HIS way of thinking is to put the meat in a pot and cook it until it begs for mercy. Was thinking of doing something exciting and different (no, coffee crusted pork tenderloin is out of the question), but I got the usual looks and stares. I'm cracking up just thinking about it. At least no one here expects that "stuffed derma" thing. The name alone gives me chills.[p]mShark
  • mollyShark,
    i really tried to be true to the traditional, but seeing what magic the egg imparted on it. .. by using just lump with no added wood, and leaving the brisket uncovered that first hour, it just had the slightest taste of a 'wood burning oven' kind of thing. .. my wife's comment was "you could tell it wasn't done in the oven, but yet it wasn't smoked". . and she really liked it. . .hope that helps describe it a little better. . .if i had thrown a chunk or two of lumber in the egg and done everything else the same way, it probably would have picked up more of smokey flavor, but that wasn't my goal. .. [p]i also read in one of my jewish cookbooks that you should throw you brisket in the broiler and brown it first, then put it it in the pot. .. .again, you could probably do a quick sear in the egg, then put it in the pot and that way have some grilled flavor to it. .. [p]if your husband is dead set on tradition, try it the way i did it. .. .i think he'd say it was like he thought it should taste, only a little better (like my wife). . .[p]hope this helps. . .

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Do you find that your Le Creuset stains or retains odor when you use it in the egg?[p]Kip

• Kip,
    no and no. . .it cleans pretty easily with soap and water, even after a smokey cook. .. .(my sister keeps telling me coat the outside with scentless shaving cream for even easier cleaning - another trick is to wrap the outside in aluminum foil to keep smoke grease off it), but i find a nice soapy scrub with a little elbow grease works just fine. . .once clean, no residual smell at all. . .i highly recommend using it in the egg. . .