Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock lower level

Options
proudpapa56
proudpapa56 Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All,
Am cooking a 5 1/2 lb chicken this afternoon and wanted to do a corn casserol also. Don't think they'll both fit comfortably on a raised grid. Would lowering the bird and cooking the casserol on top be OK?
Thanks ahead for any answers.

Comments

• Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Good question, I'll be interested to see what the Master Eggheads respond with. My initial guess is that you might burn your chicken, but if you went with a small load of lump . . . it might work.

Bryan
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    proudpapa56, I don't know either but, see if you can go spatchcock on the chicken and some how get a food grate above the dutch oven. So, what I'm saying is DO on the plate-setter on the BGE feet then...i'm like Bryan I'll watch for others to chime in here. Tim

This thought may seem far out but someone should try it! :ermm:

Maybe you could foil the plate-setter for the drippings and foil the DO for the drippings and lay the bird on the DO.

000_1217.jpg
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Not sure if they will both fit side by side, you could always do a test fit to check it first. If you are going indirect it should not be a problem to do the casserol on top of the bird. Good luck let us know how it works out.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    If you do it all indirect, platesetter legs up, then the grid then the chicken, then the raised grid and the corn. I do something sililar when I need something else with the chicken.

Doug
  • proudpapa56
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
    With the legs up plate setter, grid, and a raised grid my top won't close all the way.
    Next step?
    Thanks again.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Can you fit the Casserole under the chicken on foil balls on the platesetter?

Doug
  • proudpapa56
    Options
    Doug,
    Thanks again. The casserole takes less time to cook than the chicken so would have to take the chicken out to put casserole in. Am trying to keep casserole on top. My wife is telling me to stop trying my hardest to screw this up and just cook the casserole in the oven. I'ts 15 degrees and windy here today so just might go with that plan.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    proudpapa56, I agree it's cold outside. This summer I will attempt to do a similar cook and see how it goes. Tim

Peace be with you and your wife. :)
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Sound like a good plan...And a smart wife...

Doug