Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II Question

Options
Jeffersonian
Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My blushing bride gave me a DigiQ II for Christmas and I'm planning on giving it a whirl today with a turkey cook. My question is about the Pit Runner 4 CFM blower - it looks like just a little blower on a sheet metal frame...can this thing be used in the rain, or do I have to protect it somehow? I'm planning on putting the controller itself in a Tupperware box, but that's obviously not possible with the blower.

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I have one and I would and do put some foil or something to keep it from getting wet.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Thanks, HungryMan, that's kinda what I thought. Merry Christmas, buddy.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Brad
    I use mine in the rain all the time. I put a bag over the controller. I have never put anything over the fan. It is on the shelf of the table though.

It has been on since 530am here in Belleville.
    IMG_8455.jpg
    This pic. was a couple minutes ago.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Thanks, Kokeman. Thankfully the rain's let up for now, but I might try to keep the water off it just in case. Got cold all of a sudden, no?
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    That storm that ran throw at 1am woke me up. My umbrella on my egg table was still up. I ran out to put it down. It felt a lot warmer then than now. Hopefully the weather will hold off till after 2 when my ham should be done.
    You doing a Mad Max turkey?
    Merry Christmas
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    No, not the full-bown MMT, just a smoked 20 pounder.

We left my SIL's in South County last night around 8:30 and didn't even need coats. That's not the case now, is it?
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    The DigiQ seems to be operating, but I had a heck of a time getting it to setpoint temperature, 325*. It wouldn't cruise above 275*, and I discovered that I had inadvertantly choked the damper down to about 50%, so I opened that and the temp seems to be rising now, but slowly. The fan is running almost constantly.

My question is whether anyone else has experienced difficulties in getting to a temperature higher than what one would call "low-n-slow" (~225-250*) with the 4 CFM fan. Do I need to get the 10 CFM blower to run at higher temps with the unit?