Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon a journey

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's done. I sliced it this morning vacuum sealed it, and put some in the freezer.
IMG00351.jpg
IMG00352.jpg
IMG00355.jpg
OK OK OK I had some for breakfast!
IMG00353.jpg
IMG00354.jpg
When I went to slice it this morning one of them had a little bit missing. Don"t know what the deal was there.
When I put that piece on my tongue last night it was like a watching butter melt in a warm skillet. I bit down and this wave of flavor and juiciness completley filled my mouth. It was amazing!
I'd say a lot like canadian bacon. After one bite I think, I'll soak it another hour next time, then I take another bite and think, I won't change a thing next time.
I'm gonna have to give some away...I have 9 lbs of it and that shouldn't stay in the house, cuz I will eat it all! :P

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    that looks good! I have gone in twice and opened the freezer and just smiled at all the little packs in there LOL this is just plane sick! :blush:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is funny, I've done the same thing.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Staci, that is a great pictorial.

It is always fun doing the BB Bacon and a real suprize as to the goodness.

Only one suggestion. Don't give any away, just cook more and give that extra away, ah heck keep and eat it all. It freezes well.

I think I like your cut best but the next time you do some BB Bacon get some loin and or tenderloin. It's all good.

Kent
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Thanks GG I was thinking of trying the loin next time. Overall its really easy...its just the scheduling. I travel a lot so it was a struggle to make sure I started the cure on the right day so that it could get turned at least every other day, and then be here when it needed to be finished.
    All completely worth it!
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    I know what you mean. My sister called to ask me to go to the store in preparation for the Christmas/Giant storm combo. I asked her what she needed me to get, she said, "Based on those 3 hunks of meat I saw you bring in last night...probably not much. Jayden (my niece) will likely be eating that all weekend!" :P