Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kobe Beef..really different

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had some genuine Kobe beef last night..the real article. I knew it would be different, but it is so different than I hesitate to compare it with regular beef. I discovered whereas I can do in a 10 oz filet without batting an eye, 6 oz of Kobe was enough to make me stop. I actually had ordered an 8 oz and gave out enough "tastes" to the others at the table that I probably only ate 4-5 and that was plenty. It is soooooo rich that I was almost queasy at the end. I literally could cut it with a fork, it was that tender. Almost like a pate, but not in the least mushy. Don't know if I'd order it again really. I mean it was absolutely delicious and fabulous and cooked perfectly, but don't think it will replace a good aged t-bone in my life.

Any Kobe addicts here?

mShark

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ill take the aged tbone too, wonder if folks that like tenderloin more than the strip loin would be more apt to want the kobe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The closest I've come to Kobe is pictures. Often I'm amazed by how small the portion is. I had supposed that it was because of the cost. From your report, it seems a little like eating a stick of butter. Just a couple of pats are enough.

How was the rest of the meal?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've been buying Kobe ugly steaks(flap meat}and they are outstanding. They aren't really Kobe because they don't come from Japan, but they are from the same strain of cattle, Wagyu. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've had the genuine article a couple times, and I've been lucky enough to have Wagyu beef quite a bit. There is, in my opinion, a succinct yet subtle difference in the two both in quality and unfortunately in price. The only times I've had Kobe steaks I had the ribeye and, like you, found it incredibly rich. The Wagyu is close, but just not quite as rich or tender as genuine Kobe. Maybe the difference is in the preparation. Both my Kobe steaks were ordered at the same restaurant, one that is quite famous and well known as one of the best in the nation.

That said, the Kobe steaks I've had (and once I even indulged in a Kobe burger in Vegas), were not the best I've ever had. The best steak I've ever eaten was a 70 day dry aged prime grade strip.

If I go to a top notch steakhouse and Kobe is on the menu, I will always consider it - but the price generally puts it out of mind rather quickly.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Rest of the meal was spectacular, but this restaurant always is. Lonesome Dove in Fort Worth. Tim Love's place. Always great.