Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg size (I know, it's been discussed before)

Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi.

Remember me, the Frog from the North?

Well, I still don't have my Egg, but I have spent all summer selling it to Hubby, and it is a YES. (YEEEEEEESSSSS! :woohoo: )

My idea was to get an XL, but wait until they have the real egg cover.

At any rate, I went to the local store that sells them this week, to check them out. The store has a Large on display. My reaction: «Hiiiiiii! This is sooooo small!» I mean, it does not even cover what my ugly BroilMate does...

You see, I cook big time. And from the surface the Large offers, I don't believe I could cook a whole meal. The owner of the shop told me I should then buy an XL and a Medium. So my brain started working...

One thing I really want to do with my Egg is:
- Whole rabbits for 10
- Frog legs (yep, you got that right)
- Hubby's trouts
- Uncle Mike's yearly moose and bear
- other stuff
- ... a X'mas turkey for 40 people (about 40 lbs turkey) (or two smaller turkeys?)

Plus:
- Vegetable on the stick
- Corn on the cob in summer
- Pizzas
- Stir Fry
- Grilled vegetables

etc.

Here, a typical meal consists of some meat, with tons of veggies.

So. Maybe a Large and a Medium would do? (and Hubby is SO sold to it that he'll let me buy exactly what I want - hey, I make the money here, anyway ;) ). Or two Medium? I'm thinking it may not be necessary to burn so much coal to get an Egg working if, for instance, I only have few things to cook one evening.

I have plenty of room in the backyard. Hubby is already very excited about building my outdoor kitchen in the spring (as am I).

Assuming I am buying two Eggs, please, I beg you to discuss sizes with me, even if you have discussed it thousands of times before. Your experience has deepened since your last discussion, I'm sure.

And... well, because, you know. Size DOES matter. :lol:

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    From the cooks your describing 2 larges or a large and Xlarge might be right for you. I started with 2 larges and that worked for up to 60 people but I still needed something smaller for the single steak. What ever you decide it probably wont be your last eggs.
    With the 2 larges I do like that all the eggcessories can be swapped back and forth.
  • Ms.
    Hey! Thanks!

I might not want to cook for 60 people, but mostly to cook big items, like the moose and the turkey, once a year. It's not so much as a number of items, but as the size of the meat... And the mountains of veggies.

I will pretend I did not read your comment about these not being my last Eggs... I mean, I don't want to freak Hubby. He agreed to two, let's start with thta! :lol:
  • I don't think a moose will even fit in a XL. :unsure:
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    I only have 1 Large, bur can see the advantage of having at least two to use as duplicate cookers or as having two different temperature and style "direct vs indirect" cooks simultaneously. I agree that there are probably more eggs in both of our futures no matter which way we choose. Best of luck and welcome to the club. Enjoy! :woohoo:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    you do know don't you that either buying them or making rigs with bolts, nuts and auxiliary grates you can have 2 or 3 layers going inside a large? There are numerous pictures posted of 6 pork butts on a large. BTW if you are bound and determined the XL is a must item for you be sure to buy the updated model that has a taller dome and small firering.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I monitored this group for a while and bought a Large. I'm primarly cooking for two and it is more than enough for our family but I'm not cooking moose or 4 turkeys at a time either.

Why not start with ONE egg and get a feel for how you like it and how much and how you will use it...then you can decide on a second one. I'd hate to see you buy two and then determine that the combination of sizes was wrong from the get go. So get a large or XL but I suspect Large is the most common size being used here as a primary unit in the forum based on the pics I see posted.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • if you are bound and determined the XL is a must item for you be sure to buy the updated model that has a taller dome and small firering.

This is a significant factor, as I understand it because the improvements make a big difference in the usability of the XL. The original dome was flatter where the new one is a higher dome. This will make a big difference when cooking on raised grids or large items like a 40 lb turkey.

When you're cooking Moose, deer, elk or whatever, how many lbs of food are you cooking at a time? Most of what you described sounds like you could cook it on the large, unless you're cooking everything for 10.
  • Ms.
    Well, I don't know about pounds - I usually go for size, but I always cook tons of veggies with my main course. So that's why I figured maybe I need two Eggs, going at a different temperature...
  • Ms.
    I am thinking about that. Getting a Large, and, if it's not sufficient, I will have at least an idea of what is missing...
  • Ms.
    Well, we don't eat it all at once! :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Before I got a 2'nd egg veggies or sides were relegated to the back burner otherwise know as the big box with the kitchen clock :S And that cost more than the egg :angry:
  • Isabelle,

I don't want to cloud the issue but the XL is going through a redesign. It will have much more capacity than the current one. They will not be available(as far as I know) until the current inventory of XL's is depleted. I do not know when that will be but if it is a year, say, you will miss a whole year of egging. I would go with the large and make your decision on a second when that is an option eh.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have both the XL and the Large and I would agree with Pat the XL and Large combo is the best of both worlds, A big XL to handle the large cuts and for the single grid grilling space. With the large to handle the sides and during the week cooks. The large also has a lot of options available to increase it's capacity. My Large and my small are usually my go to Eggs during the week but when I pull out the stops the XL is king. :)