Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

nomex question, worth installing before using egg?

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My large gasket finally bit the bullet; I have a nomex here to replace it with. I've been egging with it as is just fine. Santa just bought a small for the family and will deliver it in 12 days or so. I'm debating on putting the nomex on the small since its perfectly clean now and would be an easy install. I could then get another nomex for the large and replace it eventually.

How much better does the nomex perform? Is it worth my hassle to remove a perfectly good felt gasket from the small and put on the nomex before using it? The small is dis-assembled and in the box, so it should be a fairly easy task versus having to disasembe and clean the large before the installation. Not that this prevents me from having to fix the large eventually....

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hi glousteau,

I like the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it." :cheer:

The gasket on the small could last a long time before you have to touch it and performance is effected very little, in my opinion.

Gator

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Now that you will have multiple Eggs you may find that you will most of your "high-temp" cooks on one Egg and not need a Nomex on both. Just a thought.

That new gasket you are getting ready to trash sells for $20. At least get some use out of it?

Congrats on the new small!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Kew_el_steve
    Options
    When I got my Large (beginning of '08), the gasket was a mess coming out of the box. It just wasn't installed right and had some of the wrapping plastic between the ceramic and sticky side of the felt. Got a Nomex kit from the Mothership and installed it. Have not had to mess with it since. Set it up once and forget about it and enjoy your egg. My vote is to change it now.