Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help on ham for thanksgiving

Options
skeeter
skeeter Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
anyone cooked ham on egg...any hints

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Sure 'nuff!!

Maple-Bourbon Ham*
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) with regular grid on PS. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I have cooked Egret's Maple Bourbon ham and it was great.

Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • i've eatin egret's ham and it is excellent ....the one i always do on thanksgiving though is dr. chicken's double smoked ham. ..takes an average store bought smoked ham, and turns it into something truly memorable. .. even if you only do the glaze and don't do the injection, it is fantastic. ..here is a link ..

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2003/messages/72626.htm
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    yes both recipes listed here are TERRIFIC. BTW anybody hear from Dr Chicken (Dave Spence) lately? I'd love to have an address whether it be email or a mailing address.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • i haven't heard from him in a long time. ..but he usually shows up when he sees me post to beat me for not doing the injection! LOL . .
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have also cooked Egret's Maple Bourbon ham AND WILL on T-day along with a spatchcocked turkey.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Magnolia
    Options
    What kind of wood do you recommend for smoking the ham?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Egret,
    I have copied the link to do this at some point, it sure looks sounds great.

Thanks for posting the recipe,
    Bordello