Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

knife sharpener

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
in answering a question, "which cutlery" - - "mkc" wrote that he uses the "chef's choice model 130 sharpener"

is this the sharpener of choice for the forum? - are there other recommendations?

thanks - mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    First, a properly used knife that is well cared for should keep its edge for a very, very, long time. Never place a knife in a dishwasher and carefully cut on a board and store it in a block or some other way to protect the edge. A steel sharpening rod should be used frequently to stand the edge back up when cutting becomes less then perfect.

For sharpening, I use a hand sharpener that clamps onto the knife and uses sharpening stones attached to rods to maintain the correct angle while sharpening. I can put a razor edge on any knife in very little time and have the exact edge profile I desire. Lansky make this type of system generally priced around $50 at sporting good stores. I do have a better system also that costs around $200. In my opinion these are the best systems that take off a minimum of metal from the blade. As previously stated, a sharpening steel is what is needed most times to re-stand the edge and get the knife back to its best cutting.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    im a fan of waterstones and diamond hones. the problem i see with the chef choice is that i see no way of changing blade angles and some of my more used knives are single bevel, i dont see that working on those. looks like it only grinds one angle and some knives need a heavey angle, some need a more fine angle depending on how they are used as well. im betting its the most used model here though.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I use an Edge Pro for sharpening and a ceramic rod for maintaining. The model I have will sharpen from 7° to 25° as well as scissors. Edge Pro makes some of the top manual sharpening systems out there, they are made in the USA, lifetime guarantee, full support (like you can talk to the owner of the company if you have a question). Stones go up to 1000 grit, and there are tapes that will go to 4000 or 6000 grit.

Like an Egg, they may look expensive at first, but about 15 minutes after you use one you will wonder why you wasted all that money on other systems.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Kind of overkill if you don't have other uses for it, but i use the knife jig on a Tormek wet grinder that I purchased for sharpening my woodworking tools. It can quickly be set up to grind any angle, and can quickly repeat that angle when necessary. You can literally shave with all of our kitchen knives.

-John
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Rodney, I have owned many different sharpeners including the Chef's Choice. I found it to do more damage to my knives than sharpen them. The Tormek is the best thing I have found for putting an accurate edge on a knife. Expensive but so is an Egg. -RP
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Thanks Third Eye. I couldn't think of the manufacture but Edge Pro is the unit and in my opinion, the best sharpener money can by.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    as you can see from the above posts we are not fans of 'electric' shapeners except the tormek.
    i use waterstones you can use sheet abrasives on glass etc.. the problem with electric is if the choil is thick the whole blade will not slide thru the shapener and you will eventually grind a concave spot at the back of the blade..

here is probably the best link for knife shaprening

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/

and was the precursor to this

http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Kitchen-Ultimate-Guide-Knives/dp/0061188484/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258555871&sr=8-2
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Third vote for Edge Pro. Takes a little patience, and attention, but pretty much insures a fine edge. That, and stropping off the wire when it develops.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Agreed, I haven't had my knives sharpened in decades and use a steel before each use and while not razor sharp maybe, they are still capable of cutting almost paper thin slices of all but the tenderest meat.
  • Michael B
    Options
    Most of the time a steel is all that is needed. When I do want to sharpen a knife, I like the Spyderco 204MF
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i steel my wustofs and rarely sharpen them. i do not steel my japanese knives.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I do too...

Spring "The Sharper The Gooder" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • birddog14
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    I use an Edge Pro for sharpening and a ceramic rod for maintaining. The model I have will sharpen from 7° to 25° as well as scissors. Edge Pro makes some of the top manual sharpening systems out there, they are made in the USA, lifetime guarantee, full support (like you can talk to the owner of the company if you have a question). Stones go up to 1000 grit, and there are tapes that will go to 4000 or 6000 grit.

Like an Egg, they may look expensive at first, but about 15 minutes after you use one you will wonder why you wasted all that money on other systems.

I have been wanting to get an Edge Pro.
  • birddog14
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:

I have been wanting to get an Edge Pro.
  • go-rebels
    Options
    I have to wholeheartedly agree with Fearless. I purchased a Tormek grinder for use with my woodworking hobby but now seem to use it more sharpening knives and scissors. You can literally shave with the finished product and a 6" knife can be made razor sharp in just a few minutes.

To test for sharpness I like to hold up a regular sheet of paper then cut thin slivers off the edge. When you can do that w/o buckling and tearing the paper, then you're done!
  • EggTurner
    Options
    As a woodturner I will add my endorsement to the Tormek. Steep price if just for knives - but great if also using is to put a keen edge on woodworking tools.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    This link: http://knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/40/nfbb_session_id/e20ee9e2378322010b7208279ecfa722/
    will give you detailed information on a inexpensive, fast, long lasting way to make an convex edge on a blade.
    The convex edge is the edge of choice of most professional sharpeners. If you want to try one first ask your local pro if he uses a slack belt.
    My edges go months without a need for a resharpening with just a steel.
    I have several co-workers that I told about this and the made the minimal investment and are very happy.
    TTFN WLL
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I will add my vote for the Tormek -- it is fantastic!

Once you have an edge, just a touch on the 1000 grit and a polish on the 6000 grit and you are good to go.

Jet has come out with an absolute clone of the Tormek for a lot less money. It even uses the same jigs. If I was starting over I would look at that.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    That's actually what I have - I talked to some local woodturners and the guys at our Woodcraft store, and they said the Jet machine was nearly as good for half the money. It uses a different type of motor that isn't rated for continuous use, so if you're running a sharpening business or using it in a woodworking production shop, get the Tormek. Otherwise, the Jet seems fine. However, the Jet jigs were not as well rated, so I've bought the Tormek brand jigs for knives and woodturning, and have been thrilled with the combination.

-John