Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin question

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a 2 lb. pork loin and was wondering what the preferred method of cooking is. My last one I cooked at 350*(direct) to an internal temp of 140 and had some significant charring. Should they be cooked indirect? Temp?
Thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    egger66,

I would cook around 400*-425*. you can do it on a raised grid to prevet charring but you really shouldn't get too much unless it's marinaded or sauced.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    I do them indirect at about 350 to an internal temperature of 140. No charring, but no pretty grill marks, either. But boy are they moist and tender. ;)

But I know this thread will grow, and that you'll get many different opinions on this one.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Cant go wrong with a good tenderloin..here's about my fav way to fix it..I've made it many many times and never get tired of it...gotta lil kick though if you don't mind that ;)
    1d06aaf6.jpg
    ddab90c3.jpg

Southwestern Grilled Pork Tenderloin
    Ingredients
    2 Fresh Tenderloin (about 1 1/2 lb total)
    5 tsp chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp oregano
    3/4 tsp ground cumin
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tbsp vegetable oil

Cooking Instructions
    1. Mix seasonings and vegetable oil together in small bowl. Rub mixture over all surfaces of tenderloins. Place in large resealable bag. Refrigerate tenderloins 2 to 4 hrs.
    2. Preheat egg to medium-hot (350-400 dome) direct. Grill tenderloins, turning occassionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until done to your liking.
    3. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 mins. Minimum.

Slice tenderloins into medallions. Serve with grilled corn on the cob and marinated black bean salad or sides of choice. Yet to find a side that doesn’t go well with tenderloin!
  • egger66
    Options
    Thanks for the insight...getting ready to put it on :cheer:
  • egger66
    Options
    That might have been my problem...it was marinated AND sauced. I also had a full load of lump; could have caused flare ups.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    I use a raised grid. I've also done them stuffed and "plain". One of the most interesting flavors came from one that was butterflied, then stuffed with cream cheese, pineapple and sliced jalapenos. There are some great recipes on this site and instructions on butterflying too. Don't forget the butcher's twine!
  • did you roll it around? cooked to 140 at 350, my problem is often making sure i have ENOUGH browning (of a bacon wrap, say).

keeping it on one side will toast that side. as will and sugary marinades or sauces.
  • lump won't cause flare ups. fill as high as you want. that said, if it is very close to the lump, it will char. the dome say3 one thing, the lump is almost always at 1200 or better. if you are half an inch away from 1200 degree lump, your dome temp is irrelevant
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    I coat with olive oil and sprinkle some rub the cook them direct over low heat. I get just the right amount of char when I cook direct at 275* dome temp until the inside reaches 140*.