Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

State of the Egg: 3 month report

Options
Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It has now been 3 months since I first learned what a Big Green Egg was and bought my own a week later.

Since then, I have to admit that I've become completely hooked. After making dinner tonight (grilled romaine with veggies salad, with spatchcock chicken and crab Mac n Cheez on the side), I started thinking about what I've cooked on it since then and thought I'd share a "State of the Egg" report.

So here's
Full Brisket (first time)
Brisket Gumbo
Brisket Tacos
4x Moink Balls
3x ABT's
4x Wings
6x Spatchcock chickens
Chicken Marsala
Smoked Turkey
4x Pork Butts
7 Racks of Ribs
3 Steaks
1 Top Round
2x pans of brownies
Baked Bananas
Baked Peaches
Baked Apples
About 40 ears of corn
Around 20 hot dogs
About 10 Burgers
4x veggie burgers
4x Beer Brats
Crab Mac N Cheez
Grilled Romaine Salad
Grilled summer veggies
7x Pizzas
1x Breakfast Pizza
Meatloaf

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Gotta tell you, when I first bought it, I was all stressed out about the cost, and whether I'd actually use it enough to justify the expense.

I think this list has certainly answered that question.

Best investment ever.

And honestly, the vast majority of these dishes are a direct result of seeing pics and recipes posted here. So thanks to everyone who continually inspires me with their creativity every day! It's a wonderful community to be a part of.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Cheers to you! :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nice cook list. Hope you won the lottery to get all the goodies.

Check out some dutch oven recipes. Got a few if interested.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Teach42,

Been out for dinner much? ;) When you calculate that in it is a no brainer.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Outstanding ... and to think you are just getting started!!!!

Great list.

Joel
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    WOW!! I just am smiling!!
    Wonderful community is right!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • EggTurner
    Options
    Your experience is like mine (although you have cooked more); but our conclusion is the same - BGE is a great purchase.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    No doubt about it. It sure beats the stock market for an investment that gives you a great return on the dollar. We see your list now we need to see your pictures. Once you start posting pictures you are hooked!
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Keep it up this is a good start

Ross
  • Teach42
    Options
    LOL, almost forgot to add Pig Candy to the list! Wow was that tasty!

@Double Bogey I've actually taken way more pics than I've posted. Will ahve to go back through the Flickr account and post a few of my recent cooks.

@Richard FL Just bought my first dutch oven! Cleaning it up now so I can get cooking on it. Very much looking forward to trying Clay Q's pulled beef.
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Dang!! I'm impressed...
    A friend turned me onto the BGE almost 3 months ago, and though I had never heard of it, nor a Kamado, I was intrigued...
    I soon found this fantastic, wonderful website, and next thing I knew, I had me a Large...
    Though I thought I'd been using it a fair share, my list pales in comparison to yours!
    I see now, that I have some work ahead of me...!
    Thanks to you ALL!
    The BGE, and the BGE Forum, have, without exageration, made my life better!

Sincerely,
    RicklessssssssS in Oregon
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Very nice repetoit(sp?)Teach, very nice indeed.

Sounds like you are ready for Egg no.2

How is the DO rehab project coming?
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Very nice! You just sent me on a five-month review of my cooks since I got my large and mini...thank you! :laugh: :) I too have enjoyed the community here... :)
  • Teach42
    Options
    @Bacchus I washed off the oven cleaner last night. A ton of rust came off with it, but there's quite a bit more to do still.

BTW, I did the 'water' test to see how big it actually is. Held a full 12 quarts. I'm thinking I'm gonna need to get another dutch oven for 'daily' use.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Well why dontcha jump right in with both feet?
    Very impressive cook list for your first 3 months!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • EggieG
    EggieG Posts: 81
    Options
    That is quite an impressive list for your first three months.

I hope to make my 3 mo list as well rounded. I've had my egg for almost a week and truly appreciate the resource that this forum has been.

Great Job.

Funny how much more memorable your meals are when they are cooked on the BGE.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Well it sounds like you got most of it off. Boiling water in it should take off the rest from interior, up to the water line at least.
    Yes that is quite large, but nice to have for sure.
    I love my Lodge 5qt with wire bail handle. I think it was $39.