Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Timing Question

Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 7lb brisket to smoke in the large BGE this weekend. Can someone give me an informed view as to how long it will take? I plan to cook it at around 210-225° and take it to 190° internal. What time should I plan on putting it in to have it ready to eat at, say, 6:00 p.m.? It's a long time since I cooked one and I never made any notes.
Regards to all.

--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Fairalbion,
    If you have 225 at the grill level, you are probably looking at 12 hours or so. Say 10-13!! Choice or prime will most likely be toward the lower end. Far as I remember you monitor your grill level anyway with your guru...right? At 210 you could be talkin 15 hours.
    Regards back atchya!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Fairalbion,
    If you are talking dome temp, I usually figure 1 1/2 hours per lb. at 225-250. I guess that agrees with Nature Boy.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Fairalbion,[p]I don't know how pork compares to beef when it comes to slow cooking times, but I cooked two pork butts weighing 6 lbs. each this week. Put 'em on the Egg at 6:00 pm the night before and they were ready to pull at 3:00 pm the next day. Hope this may help... Mac
  • Nature Boy
    Howdy Mac
    Just curious if you have monitored your cooking level? For a 6 pound but to take 21 hours, your actual cooking temp must be 200 or below. At least from what I have seen so far. During my first year of cooking, butts and briskets were regularlay taking that long, because I assumed I was cooking at the dome temp....when really I was cookng at 180 or 190. [p]Found out later I need to cook in the 250 dome range to get 190-210 at the cooking level. It does level out more later in the cook, but the dome/cooking level difference can be huge.....especially with a load of meat early in the cook.[p]Just throwin out some thoughts.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Nature Boy,[p]I guess I should have mentioned cooking times in my last post. I started the cook with a steady 225. My buddies called a few hours later and asked me to join 'em for a beer. I got home around 11:00 pm and found the Egg at 300 and the meat at 162 internal. Puuled the meat, shut the damper and dome and waited. When the temp dropped back to an acceptable 250, I put the meat back on and took a little cat nap. I got up a few hours later and found the temp. registering at 225. I used my brand spanking new Thermapen (thanks honey) and checked the meat temp. It was somewhere in the 140's. Cooking level was somewhere in the 190-200 range. [p]I totally agree with your time/temp. range. I also learned that below 6 lbs. the meat tends to take 2 hrs per lb. Don't know why, just does. I was just trying to take Dr. BBQ's advice and extend the plateau as long as possible. Recently my butts have been coming out a little on the dry side. These however, came out great!! [p]Sorry to hear of your camping trip delay. We just got our first snowfall of the year. Three inches is a joke to folks up North but for us you'd have thought the world was coming to an end. I never saw beer, milk and bread fly off the shelf so fast!!! Mac
  • Nature Boy
    Mac in NC ,
    LOL. I guess it's safe to say your roller coaster cook wasn't a typical cook. hehe.[p]Sure would love to be out camping tonight. But another opporunity is right around the corner. [p]People around here are just as crazy when it snows here. Amazing how many people can pick up 2 loaves of bread, a couple gallons of milk, and 5 gallons of bottled water for one snow day.[p]I agree about the smaller butts and briskets. Everything 4-6 pounds seems to take around 10 hours.
    Cold, not frozen, beers! High tomorrow here in the upper teens.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chris:
    Just checked, it's choice and weighs 7 1/2 lbs. I will indeed be using the Guru and shall be be measuring the pit temp at the meat level.[p]I'll write it all down this time and let you know the outcome.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Nature Boy
    Fairalbion,
    Eggcellent. I'd like to see your results if track them. I got my pocket protector on, and I love graphs. hee.
    Cold beers on a cold night!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com