Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommended internal temp

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For a whole pork shoulder?

180????

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    pulling it? 195-200.
  • hizzoner
    Options
    Probably just gonna slice it. It is a wild pig so I am a little concerned about it being too lean, although it doesn't appear to be
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Then you have your temp correct.
  • hornhonk
    Options
    We should meet at the Plano Legion. You can check out the "Gathering" site. I'll buy you a drink, or 2.
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    for pulled pork 195-200 has always worked best, I've never sliced one so not sure what temp to pull it at.....let us know at what temp you pulled it at and how it turned out
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if you wanted to go for a pull over slicing, i bet you could wrap in foil with a little seltzer to keep it from drying out and continue the cook like a regular pulled pork. selzer water will also help tenderize it. this trick has worked for me with pulled beef and pulled leg of lamb so i see no problem with the wild pig. wrap it when its 175/180 and contimue cooking til it gets tender enough to pull. 180 sounds good for slicing though.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hizzoner
    Options
    It's a screwed up deal really.....plans changed for the evening and I have to hurry it up. I bumped the fire up to 300 a little while ago because now we are in a hurry to go out and I need to be done. It looks like I'm gonna pull it off the Egg at somewhere between 165-170 now so we can "go out". Don't ask

The only seasoning I did was a little Dales squirted on it and my homemade rub (overnight)