Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Fishless/Thirdeye/Anyone?

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse, I just figured that one of you veterans could help me out with a plan for cooking a piece of beef I acquired.

To save time typing, here's a link to my question earlier about Beef Plate.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=743292&catid=1

Any info or experience with this cut?

Joe

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    about 235 at the grate level for along time. maybe up to 7 hours but i would keep checking them. i dont usually see those so i dont have alot of experience with those, are they the wide flat boned ones?. if they are really meaty, they come out 900 percent better than non meaty. i think on the dp site there is a bulgoki recipe that would work for those as well. the beef ribs i usually get are the big dinosaur style ones.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I've had strips called a plate skirt, it was like a flank steak.

From your description I wonder if you have the section ahead of the short ribs? I think I would treat it like those....... maybe a few hours of flavor smoke at a lower pit temp and a braise finish until tender?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC08036a.jpg

You could do a Korean marinade on them, with the same braise finish. My buddies wife is Korean and she pointed out that the correct cut has very little meat... I reminded her that we are right in the middle of beef country. Later, she gave me the okay. :laugh:

DSC08066a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    thats what i was thinking with nature boys recipe, but im kinda at a loss as to what he actually has for meat. his description sounds more like flanken ribs, but the meat layer he mentions sounds like a ribeye piece?
    fukahwee maine

• Thanks, Gents.

I'll take some pictures when I get home, this evening. I'm probably going to give them a try, most likely with some DP Cowlick and just go by feel with a direct shot at 235 dome, very raised grid flipping frequently and misting with Jack Daniels and Apple Juice.

I haven't been able to find the big dinosaur, Fred Flintstone looking ones.

I'm sold bigtime on doing spares the way I put together after reading your thoughts on raised indirect. So much flavor from all of that fat dripping down onto the lump.

Joe
  • fishlessman
    i like to add extra sugar to the rub with brisket and beef rubs, seems to help balance out some of the flavor from the fat for me. still not sure what you have there though.
    fukahwee maine