Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - Good, Bad and Ugly

Options
Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So as was documented in a few other threads, I had some issues with my first brisket. Started off by finding 3 inches of water in my charcoal bin. Then, despite waiting four hours to ensure the temperature was steady before going to sleep, I still woke up at 5:30am to a quickly cooling Egg. Thankfully, it was still above 160 and coals were still glowing. Cranked it back up, at one point it got up over 300, and then let it settle back down to 250. When internal hit around 190-ish, I separated the point and foiled the flat with the juices from the drip pan. Let it cook a bit longer and then put it in the cooler. Point went back on for another 90 minutes.

Net result? Burnt ends are AMAZING. Perfect. Brisket itself was dry, not moist at all. However, the bark was perfect, smoke ring was nice, and there was a ton of flavor in it. So that's all positive. I think I blame the dryness on the crazy temper variations, as well as the fact that I think I over trimmed the fat off the brisket. I didn't leave much on and I think that would have helped alot. Wish I'd had some beef broth to add before foiling, but none in the house.

So an interesting first try. Definitely a learning experience. Much trickier than smoking Butts!

Pics:

3980879705_c6ae2b6f1f.jpg

3981641138_6fa055e847.jpg

3981642416_b34ac71739.jpg

3980561840_a33fbf62d2.jpg

3980886113_c489fefa7b.jpg

3980887239_6f9a898307.jpg

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Teach....A great first effort!! ;) And you are correct, briskets are a lot trickier than butt! My husband has spent many years on his brisket....you may find this an interesting read. His briskets have been spot on since he starting using the techniques here:

http://www.bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

I am sure others will offer additional sites! Again, great looking cook...it does take practice and patience... ;)
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Looks about like my first, Teach, except I think I dulled a couple of German steel knives on it first.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Teach,Good first effort and remember, it just gets better. I don't pull mine till 200 degrees internal and I do add the broth to the foil, meat side down. Meat side down when I remember and that is not always.I don't think the temperature variation was your main problem. I don't trim my whole packer briskets till I open the foil to slice and only slice what I'm using as it dries quickly. I put mine on untrimmed, fat down. Good luck on the next one and again, it just gets better.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Welcome to the First Brisket Club! They're not easy, not easy at all. And you had fire problems, besides. Good burnt ends must have made it so much better.

Brisket dries really easily. Even nicely done brisket can be dry just a few minutes after slicing. So, have a little sauce on the side.

I trimmed too much fat off my first, too. For lo-n-slo, fat is a friend. At this point, I prefer to leave most fat on. If its too fatty at the end, I'd rather sacrifice some bark instead of having a dry piece of meat. Or, after cutting off the excess, saving it to mash into some taters.

Over all, you seem to have done pretty well. My first was in the category "Just Barely Edible." Keep on.
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Definitely look at it as a learning experience.

And best part is I guess I just HAVE to keep practicing now :)

Tomorrow, those burnt ends get turned into BBQ Gumbo!