Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Chicken Thigh Advice

Smoking Coles
Smoking Coles Posts: 230
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guys & Gals,

I haven't taken the time to make a raised grid or bought a woo, so the two options I have is to go indirect at a higher temp or direct with the grid on the fire ring. I only loaded the fire box 1/2 way and lit lump in about four places with a map to get the lump burning all evenly. Any suggestions and temps on the best way without a raised grid. Putting them on in about 20 mins. Thanks all.

Comments

• smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    I have been going direct for several minutes to crisp the skin and then indirect on the plate setter until finished. Been working pretty well but I have got to get a raised grid soon. It will be a while though since I have tapped out my accessory budget for now! B)
  • You can do them direct...just stick around and keep an eye on them. Use the outside by the fire ring to keep them out of the major heat....rotate often. They will be fine. ;) FWIW...budget concious raised grid....Home Depot....3 fire bricks. ;) Works great! :)
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Fire bricks or unilock pavers work great if you have them around the house. Put the bricks on the fire ring and the grate on the bricks. This will give you a raised grid.
  • Thanks for the quick replys. LC, I know about the fire bricks and the bolt trick, just don't know why I have yet to do it. Any suggestion on direct on fire ring Temp? Thanks again. This forum is like having a panel of experts at your disposal. Don't post much, but read everyday. You guys are all much appreciated.