Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties

Lambchops
Lambchops Posts: 166
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is a fatty?

Comments

• Scroll down to about post #160-162 or 163. You'll see them in action. It's a whole tube of country sausage either Jimmy Dean, or Bob Evans. Very tasty. Smiles to you.
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Follow the link below and scroll down past the poll to see a full description with photos of Fatties.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1991/03/sausage-fatties.html

I'm new to the BGE and when I first heard about Fatties, I honestly didn't think they would be very good. I thought they would be greasy. But I got to taste one at a recent cooking class at the BGE headquarters and it was very tasty and not greasy at all. Bobby used a maple flavored Jimmy Dean sausage roll for that one. I'm going to try it myself soon.
  • Thanks guys. I am going to try that, it sounds great.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Today I took 4 fatties into work, sliced. I heated up 36 of those little Kings Hawaiian rolls which are perfect for one slice. 10 guys polished off 34 sausage sandwiches in about 20 minutes.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    I was wondering how Fatties were served. At the cooking class we just ate a slice plain. It was awful good like that. I saw where someone else mentioned making sausage biscuits with them and of course you can stuff them. So you can also do sausage sandwiches/sliders!

I think it would also be good to put some fattie slices on a sub roll with sauteed onions and peppers and maybe some cheese. Yum!

Any other ideas?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    throwdownfatty9.jpg

Don't forget breakfast. Thin slices are also good on pizza.

I made an appetizer tray once with slices, some had different kinds of mustard on them, some crumbles of blue cheese, some with a red sauce..... I jokingly told one gal they were a French appetizer called "fa-tays". She said "yes, they go so well with wine". :laugh:
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery