Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Buckboard Bacon Cure

Sooner EggSooner Egg Posts: 578
edited 4:37AM in EggHead Forum
I ordered some Hi Mountain seasoning to make my 1st attempt at BBB and I'm curious what the preference for wood is (hickory, cherry or apple)that experienced eggers have used.....also chips or chunks? I've read Thirdeye's site and saw no mention of what type of wood, chips or chunks

any and all suggestions are appreciated, also I thank you in advance

Comments

• Apple chunks and lots of them. Mark
  • FrankCFrankC Posts: 414
    I used apple chunks, but also did a pork loin. Came out like canadian bacon. At breakfast on Sunday, my wife said, "we've got to get a good meat slicer"! So I guess it turned out pretty good.

fc
  • I think I helped Davekatz get a slicer recently. LOL
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC04851a.jpg

I'm currently hoarding some sugar maple which I mix with apple. For a darker color I will switch to maple with cherry chips.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I need a drool cup! :)
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I got the slicer and immediately made then cut up what was originally 8 lbs of loin bacon. Really helped with packaging and looked alot better than my knife work.
  • Sooner....All are good. Truly personal preference. I do favor the applewood here. :) I use the chips (cuz it's all I can get in FL), and usually add a second dose of wood when the meat gets to about 110* internal, for a second dose before pulling. :laugh: Like others have said, the loin turns out fantastic! Best canadian style bacon you'll ever eat! Have fun with it! :laugh: High Mountain makes some great products. ;)
  • It arrived yesterday - thank you very much!

I've got 2 butts curing as we speak. Hope to smoke and slice them on Sunday. Oh course, there will be pics.

Thanks again,

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC03536a.jpg

LC,

When Buckboarding in an Egg, small splits or chips are really the best way to go. It's much easier to control the amounts of smoke, and you can change woods easily if you want. Contrary to most of our cooks, on a Buckboard cook, opening the cooker is not a bad thing as it lets out heat, helping to keep the pit temp lower. I add chips about every 30 minutes. And I hit it with cherry toward the end for a color bump.

DSC03555aa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery