Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT\'s

Smokin Dog
Smokin Dog Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Egg world!!!

Does anyone have a good recepe for ABT's... Have a party coming up and wanted to have my guest try what I have experienced at recent Eggfest....

Looking forward to some great ATM recipes that I can try.....

Thanks in advance...

Bob
Keep on Smokin!!!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    The possibilities are endless.Anything you can think up will be awesome.Sometimes I even make mild banana pepper ABT's for the ones that can't stand hot.And sometimes I'll make haberno ones for the smart-aleks that act like the jalepeno ones are not hot enough for them! :evil:
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I've done these at numerous fests and always get rave reviews :

Atomic Buffalo Turds
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

12 Jalapenos - fresh (3-3.5 inches each)
    (1) 8 ounce package of Cream Cheese
    12 oz. Bacon (regular sliced-NOT thick sliced)
    1 pack Smoked Cocktail Wieners (Lil' Smokeys)
    Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub
    Wood Chunks (Apple, Hickory, or Guava Wood work well)

Preparation :

Wash, remove stems and halve jalapenos lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. If the jalapenos are pretty fresh. you can pull the stems off fairly easy. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).

Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, then top with a cocktail wiener. Put the two halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure each end of the bacon with a toothpick.
    Sprinkle a liberal amount of DP Red Eye Express rub all over the surface of the bacon.

Stabilize egg at 350° F. with a raised grid.
    Place a drip pan on regular grid to catch the drippings.
    Put 2-3 chunks of wood on the coals and place ABT’s on the raised grid.
    Cook about 45 minutes, then turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon, and cook for an additional 15 minutes.

Allow to cool several minutes before serving.
  • RJFDOG,

IMHO get the seeds out but leave the membrane in. I mix shredded cheese with the cream cheese and put some pulled pork or rare steak in the middle.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Bob:

Follow the link
    ABT Method for the way I do them. Like everyone else said, use whatever meat you want and your imagination is the only limit. We have done them with pulled pork, shrimp, sausages, steak, chicken, etc.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• RonW.
    RonW. Posts: 22
    I like mixing the cream cheese with leftover brisket, they get a real smokey flavor!

UnYawn....