Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spare rib question

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did spare ribs for company last week and they did not turn out as expected. Cooked them about 5 hours @300° and they were firm but pull off the bone so I am good on texture but there was too much smoke and I used BB butt rub and it was overpowering. I want some flavor but it should be mostly rib, if that makes sense.

I used apple chips and the smoke was pretty clear before I put them on. Should I foil to cut the smoke down? When I pull them off there really isn't a smoke ring it pink pretty deep into the meat.

My ribs come out hit or miss and I have had this issue before so some advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Options
    Doug...You have to go easy with BB Butt rub, it is loaded with salt! If/when I use it, I treat it much like if I was salting. If you use it like a heavy rub, yes, overpowering, and likely too salty. We still revert to good old salt, garlic powder, and onion salt when we do our ribs. Still our fave, and we have tried many rubs.
    As far as the smoke, just cut down on the wood. Just a few chips should provide enough smoke flavor for some good ribs. Just my two cents....but I am also not a fan of smoked foods. :whistle: :pinch:
    You'll get it down!! Pracice makes perfect. ;)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Try DP Dizzy Dust or John Henry's Pecan on ribs. Like LC said BBBR is a little strong for me on ribs. I like BBBR but mostly use it on butts - pulled an mixed in a larger mass of meat. You might want to lower the temp to somewhere between 230-250 and go 6-7 hours. Just my thoughts. Good luck with it.
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    Yeah I agree on too much salt taste it dominated the food. I had great guests and they said it was O.K. but I know if they were paying for it they would have sent it back.

On the smoke I only used a little bit of chips sprinkled directly on the hot spot and let the bad smoke clear. I did not soak the chips and I let it burn about 1/2 hour or so until the smoke was nearly clear.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    dougemsmacks,

I agree with Frank and LC. BB is good on butts but too salty for ribs. It's hard to get used to wood on the egg cause it takes surprisingly little. Lower your temps, use chunks if you can and you will be really happy with the result.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON