Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need Pizza help, Please...

Options
Northarrow
Northarrow Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’m trying to nail down my Pizza situation, but I’m not getting there yet. I’m using a LBGE - plate-setter legs down - copper spacers between the platesetter and pizza stone. I’ve been doing 500 degrees for about 12 minutes. I’m also rotating the pie halfway through the cook. The toppings are fantastic, but the crust continually burns on me.

I need some collective wisdom from the folks here. Should I go down in temperature? Or time? I’m using store bought doe. Could that be the problem? Thanks in advance.
Kennebunk, Maine

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I do all of mine at 500 degrees and pull of after ten minutes.At the ten minute mark slide your peel or whatever yo use to remove the pie and take a look.A lot can happen in two minutes.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    doe?

Try using a pizza pan and leaving it there for the duration of cook. I however like mine a little crunchy. 500 is not to hot for pizza.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I'm far from being the dough expert but without changing that you could try lowering the temp to 450 or wipe the stone with a damp cloth before you start the pie.
  • Smokin Squires
    Options
    Greetings,
    We just finished a pizza that turned out great. This was our error. Plate setter legs down , 500 degrees. I bought raw pizza dough from publix. We dont own a peel yet so we rolled out the dough and put it on another pizza stone with a lip and not thick. maybe 14 in. Built the pizza with sauce fresh motz, pre cooked sweet italian no casing. onions, jalapino, porto bella asparagus, fresh roma tomato, mrs dash chipolte , farmer john, tomato basil seasoning and then shreadded motz on top. I put egg legs on the plate setter and the 16 inch pizza stone from ciramic grill store on that elevated half inch or so, then at 500 degrees we put the pizza built on the thin store bought pizza stone directly on the preheated stone with no spacer. the topping started cooking good but the dough was lagging. we had corn meal uner the pizza dough. after 10 minutes we removed the lower pizza stone and legs and put the pizza and its stone directly on the plate setter for 10 more minutes rotating 180 degrees. it turned out perfect. the crust turned out perfect.
  • mattrapp
    Options
    Store bought dough could very well be your problem. If it is a standard bread dough with a higher ratio of sugar in it it will not tolerate higher baking temps on the stone. You'll have better luck with a dough that has no sugar added, or very little.
    Also it helps to "moderate" your stone temp just before you put the pie on it. Take a fairly damp kitchen towel and swab the stone with it a couple of times. This will bring the temp down a bit before you put the dough on it, and lessen your chance of a burnt bottom. Make sure the towel is not sopping wet, or else you risk cracking the stone if you hose it with cold water.
    The key to pizza Nirvana is matching the stone temperature to your oven temp. This way the bottom cooks at the same rate as the top, and you have a perfect balance. It takes a number of tries to get familiar with this, but once you do your set.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Not a pizza expert eather but I struggled with it for a spell myself. About 400 to 450 with parchment papper trimmed tight. I rotate about 4 or 5 times during the cook as mine seem to burn on the back of edge of the Egg. If I keep rotating it it doesnt burn. Also I keep my dough relative thin so it cooks faster.
  • Smokin Squires
    Options
    my dough from publix was pizza dough from the bakery section cooler. pizza on cold stone placed on hot stone. then later directly on plate setter to finish. If we had a peel we probably woud have burned the crust as we would have placed it directly on the preheated 16 in pizza stone. xl green egg
    tony flintville tn.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have the best luck cooking my pizzas at 400 dome temp for 30 minutes. Crust never burns. Have you checked/calibrated your dome thermometer?
  • Northarrow
    Options
    Dome thermometer checks out OK. I'm going to try a lower temperature and different (homemade) dough and see how it goes. Thanks.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • hawkegg
    Options
    I would try different dough and cook at 500 wiping the stone with the damp cloth. This works for me all the time! Just keep an eye on it. At these high temps you can go from perfect to burnt really quick!!!