Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kinda O/T Griswold #8

Options
BuffaloChip
BuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found a Griswold #8 at a junk/antique store toady. The tag says Griswold #8 Nickel and looks somewhat like this one.

It has the Griswold markings and is in very good condition and as smooth as any cast skillet I've seen. Maybe due to the nickel plating? I have never seen one that is nickel coated. The 'bowl' is seasoned but the top 1/4 and handle have a dull polished look. It's much cleaner than the link and very well seasoned.

Any thoughts??

--Dave

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Here is a good read from the Wagner and Griswold collector board about the 3 types of shiny finishes.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1066370607
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Thank you, sir.

My searches didn't come up with that. Found another forum but it has no posts or topics but 118 members.

I'll have to give it a better look tomorrow now that I have a better idea of what I'm looking at.

I did talk them down from $45 to $30 but still walked away as I had no idea what I was looking at.

--Dave
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Here is a site that can answer most of your questions about old Griswold or Wagner cookware, many other older makers of cast iron also. Most of the plated pieces, either nickle or chrome, don't have much collector value unless in perfect condition. But they are great users compared to the newer cast iron and usually cheaper. Mike

http://www.wag-society.org/
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Have 15 or so cast iron pots and pans and last year picked up 2 No 273 Griswold Crispy Corn Stick pan Erie PA #930 and one Wagner ware letter "C" also for corn sticks. Paid $2.50 each, are they collectible or just great for corn bread sticks? TIA
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Richard, for $2.50 each they were all good buys. Besides BGE my other hobby is collecting this old ci stuff. This is the BGE forum so if I can help with added info on older cast iron send me an email via the forum. I may not know the answer to your question but may be able to find out for you. Mike