Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Pig Report: First pulled pork!

Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, as has been exhaustively documented throughout the day, today I completed my first overnight cook, an 8 lb boneless pork shoulder from Costco. Despite that it finished a few hours earlier than I wanted it to, it wound up turning out just perfect!

Learned quite a bit about the egg from the experience, especially with respects to controlling the temperature. Unbelievable how the smallest tweaks make such a huge difference.

Also discovered that I need to be a bit more aggressive with the flavoring. The texture of the meat was perfect, the flavor was slightly bland. I need a few more wood chunks, as the chips just didn't do anything for the meat. Also, I probably could have been more liberal with the rub, or I might try a brine next time around. Regardless, it was a great first run and I'm looking forward to many more!

The obligatory 'before' pic:

3872406201_289aa7e00f.jpg

After the first 12 hours, when I switched the thermometer from the dome to the meat. Internal temp of about 167
3872407841_0a39d9726e.jpg

Internal temp 197, time to be moved to the cooler
3872408495_b65c60b855.jpg

Guests arrive, time to pull the pork! Couldn't have been more tender and easy to pull.
3873247244_f86e86e72b.jpg

A big ol' pile of meat! This was about the time that every guest started grabbing fingerfulls... "just to taste it to make sure it's finished" :)
3872462427_df94d1cdcd.jpg

Comments