Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chips

Options
Tony S.
Tony S. Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to use some of my apple wood chips that I recently got. Do I soak them and then toss em in? Soak them and wrap in foil, poke a few holes and then toss it in? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tony
Manitoba, Canada Large BGE

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    If I'm using chips, I just usually throw them in before I lite the egg. Depending on the cook it'll be a handful or more often than not, quite a few handfuls. If it's an all day cook and I am planning on going through a whole load of lump I'll use more. If I'm planning on reusing the lump for another cook, then I'll go sparingly.

I haven't soaked in years and don't see where it would be necessary with the EGG.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Hey Tony,
    I don't soak them ever....well in the last 10 years I have not.

I get my fire going and then toss them in. I like to wait for the funky smoke you get initially sometimes to go away before I confuse the issue with more smoke :>)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Just spread a hand full of them around. Get chunks when you can. The fruit woods are a little harder to find in chunks.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hi Tony, the egg is so efficent that the wood will not ignite while the lid is kept shut, and provide a great deal of smoke. The method you are describing is best left for a weber charcoal type grill or a gasser. No foil or soaking needed. A lot of us like using wood chunks because if they don't completely burn up during the cook, then the left over chunk has turned to lump coal for the next cook. No other type of cook seems to do that. I'm glad you are cooking with us, Tony!
  • billyho4260
    Options
    I am just finishing up an overnight burn of two x 8lbs shoulders. I started the charcoal and created a "ring" of wood chips around the initial ignition point as well as heaped on some chips directly on the hot coals (I do smoke mine for about an hour or so). I went very heavy since I was going for 15 hours (almost a full bag of Maple Wood). Doing this allows for the smoke to stay constant through the burn.

Got the family coming over for dinner...looking forward to these bad boys :) I've got picture, but I can't figure out how to post it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    toss them in dry
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Tony:
    For a shorter cook, I fire up the lump first, get it going well and then add the smoke wood. Letting that smoke to settle a but too.
    For a long cook, I will add the smoke wood, layered in the lump.
    I too, like the chunk better then the chip…But sometimes you got what you got and it has to do!
    I used to soak smoke wood when I cooked on my Webber (had one of them for about 25 yrs.) as it was a “must do” to keep it smoking instead of flaming!
    I have now had my Egg for about two years and I haven’t soaked any smoke wood, except the first cook (a 24lb. turkey) which I found was NOT necessary and only slowed down my fire to the point of having to really open her up to keep a good roasting temp.
    Have fun!