Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Altitude Egging

Options
Siltz
Siltz Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for advice on high altitude egging. I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming (approximately 5,500 feet above sea level). I'm having trouble with really low temperature cooking. The last time I tried a brisket at 200 degrees the fire went out and ruined the meat. Does anyone have suggestions that will help me?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Can't really help, but I know who can. Grandpas Grub will pipe in here with assistance.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I don't know why you would try to cook with a dome temp of 200, that would put your grate temp at 170-180. It also will make it difficult to keep the fire going. Next time get your temp stable at 250 and don't let it get below there. - RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am at 5,000'. Make sure your dome thermometer is calibrated correctly.

My large and mini doesn't have much problem, however, my medium takes some extra care. My small also takes a little more attention.

For me it is the the higher temperatures that takes more attention than others seem to have to take.

Low temperature, AZRP has a good point. 200° dome is pretty low for cooking brisket or butt. Several people cook at this low temperature but at some point in time the heat needs to be cranked up or a final temperature of 195° +/- will never be reached.

The first place to check is air flow. Not so much a clean of ash egg on every single cook but if you pay careful attention to clear air holes in the fire grate you will find lighting, getting to temperature and holding temperatures a lot easier.

Buy or build a wiggle rod and use it when you suspect air flow problems. Stirring lump that is partially light will settle the lump/ash and most often plug the air holes in the fire grate.

Heat = air + fuel. If you have fuel then always look to the air flow 'up through the lump'.

Member thrideye makes and sells wiggle rods and he is around the Casper area. His web site/blog has a lot of great information as well as some very useful tools. You can find the site by going to this link.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
    Scroll down the pate to the menu area.

Jump in and post whan you have questions. There are a lot of people cooking at higher altitudes.

GG
  • Siltz
    Options
    Sorry, it was 250. I forgot and had to look at the instructions.
  • Siltz
    Options
    Thanks Grandpa! I'll look at that site and get me a rod. I'm thinking of taking my BGE apart and cleaning the whole thing. My dome thermometer seems to have a tilted needle and I have purchased another one. I'll make sure to calibrate it before using.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Your wiggle rod is a metal coat hanger bent at 90 degrees about 1.5-2 inches.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Is that Brokeback Mountain? :woohoo: