Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with a Brisket

Options
SmokeyBones
SmokeyBones Posts: 190
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Planning on doing my 1st brisket tomorrow....need help. What's the target temp to aim for meat wise? Do I cook it indirect at 225 like a butt? Is it ok to smoke or just use the smoke from the lumb? Whats a good Dizzy rub to use?

Thanks in advance for everyones input!!!! B)

Comments

• stormydog
    Options
    Good Luck
    My input would be always cook indirect at 225 to 250, and yes it is a good idea to add lump...other then that is personal preference. I am a huge fan of the jd chips but I know that apple, cherry and misquite are all very popular with Brisket. Temps for pulling it at very depending on who you talk with.
    Best of luck though
  • SmokeyBones
    Options
    Thanks stormydog, I just purchased the JD today.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    like stormy dog said. ...cook at 225 - 25o. ..one good tip i learned from drbbq a few years back. ..every cooker is a little different (every egg is a little different)....some like it at 250, some like it at 225, some like it at 275. ...whereever you egg is happy in that range, let it run in that range instead of fighting to try to stay right at 250 (even if you have a guru controlling things). ..i have one large that loves to run at 250 and one that is happier around 270 .. .i just go with the flow ...

i like to let my brisket smoke till they are well into the plateau. ..around 170 or so, then double wrap them in HDAF, and them let them continue cooking till they around 195 - 200....pull the when a fork meets very little resistence . . . .at that temp it starts to be a "feel" thing. . .if that fork meets too much resistance at 195, i let her go a little longer. . if its ready, its ready. ...

i like oak or hickory for brisket, but thats a personal choice. .. .

HTH. . ..
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The closer to 225 you go, it will definitely add cook time. I would suggest at least 250 dome temp.

Otherwise, listen to Max. As for DP rub, use raisin the steaks
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i should have mentioned that a little more heat means a little shorter time and a little less heat means a little longer time.. .. but my point is that any temp between 225 and 275 will still result in a bbq "smoked" brisket. . .

and i agree, raising the steaks work well, and cowlick is also great on brisket. ...
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    Mad Max nailed it. Make sure your dome thermometer is calibrated. My choice of wood for smoke is hickory and pecan.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You don't say, hotter temps mean shorter cooks :silly:
  • SmokeyBones
    Options
    Once again you guys kick butt, thanks for all of your inputs. I normally do a butt at 250, but wasn't sure if a brisket being a thinner cut of meat would be over done at 250. I'll setup my digi to 250, smoke it with some hickory and use a fair amount of cow lick. Set my meat temp for 200 and see what happens.

Wish me luck!!!!! :woohoo:
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    read this for a lot of information:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Also do a search on Brisket here in the forum and you'll find plenty to read
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SmokeyBones
    Options
    Thanks Shiff I'll be sure to check it out