Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found 10 quart lodge DO

Options
thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Local anitque shop had this 10 qt sitting in the basement.

Got it for $45 +tax. Don't know if that is a good deal or not but I was pleased. Cheaper than a new 9 qt. No idea about age.

Cleaned it and did some seasoning. I think I need a bit more cleaning.

4photo.jpg

Comments

• Egmont Key
    Options
    That is a good buy to me. I would have bought it in a hearybeat.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I saw a 7 guart Lodge today new for $54. So I would guess you did OK. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

It doesn't matter now if it was a good deal or not, its yours, but just for the record Lodge $45 = good find.

If there is rust just heat up and reason. If the rust is deep use some '000' steel wool and rub out the rust. Wash with soapy water (yes, I said soap), rinse well with water. Now season let the pan cool then heat up again and season once more.

If you season in the egg take out the fire ring and put the grid on the fire box. Keep the DO as far away from the gasket area as you possibly can.

If you season the DO on the lump directly remember the lump burns extremely hot if one side of the pan is resting on the lump and the other up the side of the egg there is a possibility the DO can crack because of the potential heat difference.

You have a lot of good cooking ahead of you. The egg at it's best.

GG
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    That looks in fine shape and it has been pre seasoned for you.Pot roast and chili weather is just around the corner.So enjoy your find and that dutch oven can be passed down to your grand children.Don't forget to post the pictures of all of the neat stuff that you can cook in that thing.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Looks like a good deal to me. A little elbow grease and patience and you'll have the DO in top shape. At 10 qts you'll be able make so big cooks - I would have said feed an Army but really didn't want the reply from Celtic Wolf :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    LOOKS GREAT from here, and thats a GREAT deal to IMO. Someone posted a link for a really good CI restoration website the other day. I think it was pan man dot com.
    I have the wire bail handle on my 5qt and I really do like it.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Good grab.

Whatca gonna make first?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • thegrillster
    Options
    It is so dang big that I will probably not cook until fall or if the kids come over sooner.

Would like to do big bunch of baked beans.

We are soup lovers so the will be one of the first cooks.