Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About time

Options
Marc  from IL
Marc from IL Posts: 499
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well its about time I get me a Digi Q. Just in time for my pork butts I have to cook this weekend
IMG_8222.jpg

Comments

• Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    You will love that thing, it makes life a lot easier B)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    You'll be glad you popped for it, Marc - OTOH you won't have any excuse to stay up half the night consuming adult beverages in order "to baby sit your butts" :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pplkook
    pplkook Posts: 54
    Options
    You know I tell everyone I know that "the egg is the best thing I have ever spent money on". I would say a close second would be a DigiQ, hopefully my third will be a 911 Porsche.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Nice score!

I still haven't got around to really wanting one yet. I'm still in the honeymoon period, the Egg seems so easy to operate compared to the offset smoker I used (a year and a half into owning one).

I'm sure at some point, I'll want one, but like RRP said.....it takes away beer sippin' time :woohoo:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • pattont
    pattont Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure how this would work with the egg. Can someone post some pics? I really haven't had an issue keeping my egg at a certain temp.
  • pplkook
    pplkook Posts: 54
    Options
    No pics, but here is as clear as I can write it.

Fan connects to and blows air through the bottom draft door. Two probes, one for the meat and one for inside the egg monitor temp. You really clamp down on and close the daisy wheel to minimize un-fanned draft.

The fan, and both probes connect to the controller box. You set Meat and Smoker temp, and you are done. The little control unit is smart enough to know when you open it so it doesn't run the fan at full bore. Basically it cycles the fan enough to keep just enough air going to keep the fire going to and maintain the temp.

I have done 22hr/6 butt cooks and never had to replace charcoal or really worry about a thing.

I do feel a little dirty using it, maybe like I am cheating?

I couldn't recommend it enough.

-Jack
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Great decision to finally get one. Especially with fall/winter coming up soon. Nothing like looking out at your egg chugging along, with below zero temps outside, and the guru in charge of the cook. ;)