Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No smoke

Options
queensgrt
queensgrt Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a newbie, I'm still experimenting. My first cook was beer can chicken, direct, and I was thrilled with the smoky taste - no chips, just from the lump. Burgers and steaks not so much, I guess because of their quick cook times. Yesterday we did a small butt (approx 5 hr for 195 internal) and some chicken dark meat parts, but used the plate setter with drip pan under the butt. Cooked at 300 because of a late start. No smoke noticed during the cook and no good smoky taste from the lump. Very disappointing. Is this the difference between direct and indirect? Any comments/recommendations are appreciated. I'm learning to use my large via this forum and am so thankful for all of you.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if it was the leftover lump from the previous cook, much of the uncarbonized stuff in the lump from the first batch had a chance to carbonize during the first cook. ..and it just cooks cleaner too, less smoke on the second go-round with used lump

there shouldn't be a difference going indirect, the smoke moves freely around inside the dome.

some charcoal has less smoke flavor too, depending on the hardwood species. did you change brands?

when we do butts (ribs, etc.), most of us will add extra wood chips or chunks to the fire, usually in the middle, up and down through the lump, to maximize smoke (personal taste comes into play as to how much is enough).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante