Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meal #2

Options
Maynard
Maynard Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Completed meal #2 last night. I did salmon, which I wanted to do on cedar plank, but instead did direct....

Grill: 550 deg dome temp w/ a small bit of Alder for smoking

The Salmon: 3 filets with a dill/spearmint rub. Cooked until internal was 140 deg.

The Veggies: Onions, Squash, Zucchini, seal salt, pepper, grapeseed oil, herbs

Tomatoes: Black Crim sliced, topped with mozzarella and a basil leaf.

The salmon came out delicious, the veggies were good, but a bit smokey, and the damned tomatoes were instantly overdone by the shear heat of the grill. However, they tasted excellent!

7g347m

mwgbr2

m8628c

c4lcqc

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    there is something about all that white ceramic that makes me smile! looks like you are doing good!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that looks great you can do salmon a hundred diffrent ways yours looks delish!!

one thing that may help next time you do the tomatoes is turn the grate 90 degrees to help with extraction ;)

also i hope they do not slaughter seals to get that salt but if they do lets see if we can get some to put on the egg ;) :evil: :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    Maynard,
    I do better with the tomatoes by slicing off the stem end, and maybe coring them--maybe not--stuffing with fresh mozzarella mixed with fresh chopped basil if I do core them and then putting them on. Try it (I learned it on the forum) and you will get the taste without the mess.....It all looked fabulous, btw...
  • Maynard
    Maynard Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks - I will try the whole tomato approach, it sounds great. Bente, lol. Yeah.. seal salt... comes from the salt water off the seal when it gets out of the ocean. Very fancy stuff... and no seals are hurt. :P
  • Gregg The Egg
    Options
    Maynard wrote:
    Completed meal #2 last night. I did salmon, which I wanted to do on cedar plank, but instead did direct....

Grill: 550 deg dome temp w/ a small bit of Alder for smoking

The Salmon: 3 filets with a dill/spearmint rub. Cooked until internal was 140 deg.

The Veggies: Onions, Squash, Zucchini, seal salt, pepper, grapeseed oil, herbs

Tomatoes: Black Crim sliced, topped with mozzarella and a basil leaf.

The salmon came out delicious, the veggies were good, but a bit smokey, and the damned tomatoes were instantly overdone by the shear heat of the grill. However, they tasted excellent!

7g347m

mwgbr2

m8628c

c4lcqc

I would like to "Egg" you on! I too just did my 2nd meal today! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great Job for only cook #2!

550 sounds kind of hot for what you were cooking but the fish looks fantastic!

I usually cook mine at 400 (direct) and take it off between 125 and 130. I used to go to 135 but it was too easy for it to go higher and dryer. Then I found out from LC that all fish (that I cook) is done anywhere from 125 on.