Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to fix for 25 people

Lill Prophet's Mom
Lill Prophet's Mom Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my BGE last week. Soon I will be having a get together for about 25 young people. I want to use my egg but have no clue what to fix for 25 people. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    pulled pork or I have a pork and pinto bean dish I do that is very good. use it as a taco or burrito filling.
    just a big loin in a dutch oven with a bag of dried pintos and about 6 heads of garlic, chili powder and cumin. enough water to cover the beans. cook till it all falls apart. indirect at 350 for a hour or two.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    How young is young?? Is this a casual occasion or what? Lots of different appetizers. Several ABT's come to mind, shrimp, pulled pork, ribs. Lots of choices
  • This is a casual event...an album release party, average age of those attending in their early 20s. Most of the people will be performing after they eat so I don't want anything to heavy.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Pulled pork is always easy, always a hit and very hard to mess up. As important it is easy for you too.

20 people = abt an 8.5 pound Butt, for young people 2 6 pound butts will be more than enough.

You can go simple as sandwiches or make it a little more involved and do some burrito's add beans.

Straight pulled pork
    barbacoa1.jpg

Add some coke and a little chili powder & a light amount of sweet BBQ sauce.
    barbacoa2.jpg

Oops almost forgot...
    barbacoaburrito2.jpg

barbacoaburrito1.jpg

barbacoasalad4.jpg

GG
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    You need to make a cookbook, your pics always look so good..
  • Grandpas Grub

Thank you, but 99% of my cooks come from forum members recipes. I have posted links to most of those which if interested you can look at the links in this post.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=685521#685521

GG

[url][/url]
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Wow..... Thanks to you and everyone for all the great help from a newbie.

Ordered a XL egg and waiting for delivery.

Great to see all the info on the forum.

Dan
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Dan
    Grab an instant read thermometer (thermopen) and a vac pac machine and hold on to your britches. :woohoo:

Soon you may become half nuts like most of the rest of us. ;)

It's a fun ride that I don't see an end to. :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub

Congratulations, you are in for some great fun and eats.

While you are waiting for your egg there are some good links in my above post, if you haven't looked at some of them already.

Thirdeye has a great grid lift tool as well as some other tools and don't forget to look through his recipes and how too's.

Ceramic Grill Store has some great accessories for the XL also.

As Ripnem said get a Thermapen (don't substitute for a look-alike or cheaper unit).

I have only listed a few of the recipes but the sites above have some easy, wonderful and fun things to cook.

Bookmark the link page for future reference.

GG
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    Here's a couple suggestions.
    Pulled pork:
    IndependenceDay005.jpg
    Wings:
    IndependenceDay010.jpg
    And of course ribs:
    LambandCrawfish023.jpg
    Happy Egging!
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Great tips and ok on the Thermapen.

I believe the half nuts and sometimes find myself laughing and the spouse wondering what I'm up to.... great to see all the characters.

Wealth of knowledge and seeing I have a lot to learn.

Again, thank you.

Daniel