Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING Sparky: Urethane

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What product do you use for table tops, etc? Thought about Spar varnish, but that stuff yellows and cracks. What about Spar Urethane? I've seen some products that are an oil-H2O mix (?) urethane LINK. Suppose to dry fast so multiple coats can be put on in a short time.

Comments

• Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    Not Sparky, but I thought I'd weigh in anyway. I used spar urethane on my table and I'm very please with out it looked at the outset and how it's holding over a year down the line.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm?P102
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Is it a high gloss?
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    I believe it was, but I don't remember exactly. I used cypress for the wood and I think that helped contribute to the shine.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I asked my dad, he's a retired engineer and dealt with builders and carpenters his whole life (on top of that he learned from the best, my granddad was a pro carpenter :)). He told me urethane is definitely what you want. Like you said varnish will yellow outside UNLESS you get varnish that is meant for boats. Even then you have to reapply it after a while.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Bert,I use high gloss spar urethane.It holds up great to the weather.I have 5 or 6 coats on my eggmates,and they look as good as new.I lightly sand with 320 grit sandpaper between coats.It takes 4-6hrs to dry,so you may want to borrow my large nest if you don't have one ;)

005-16.jpg
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Thanks, Doug and Dan. Spar Urethane it is. Don't need the eggnest, though. Still have mine, but not using it. Took the lazy man way and stained it w/ egg in place. Naturally, I didn't get under the egg, but that's OK. You know the old painters' mantra: "If you don't see it, you don't paint it." :laugh: Also, my back has been in a bad way this month. About 3 weeks worth of pain. Went to my neurosurgeon and got a course of steroids and muscle relaxants and I'm much better now. Don't want to test it out again and end up like I was. After almost a year I figured the wood was dry enough to stain, at least that's my excuse. :)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    That's cool man,just be sure to share the pics when finished ;) The cool thing is,you can put a coat on,and sand it in 4-6hrs,or days for the next coat(it really doesn't matter).Just be sure that if/when it gets rained on,that it is completely dry before sanding or recoating.I highly recommend 4-6 coats,the more,the better ;)