Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My last post on Gaskets

Options
Raebo
Raebo Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I burned off a set of High Temp gaskets doing a pizza on my XL last night.
And yes I installed them "exactly" the way the factory suggested, I even let it sit for a week to fully dry. ( I know overkill )
But I learned something, I now know why this is happening.
I recently bought a small BGE for small cooks.
I noticed that even with the plate setter in the legs down position, grill on, everything still sits much lower in the tub away from the gaskets.
The XL has a plate setter that has very very short legs (.75"), sitting legs down. With a pizza stone on top it sits at the very same level as the gaskets.
Doing this is what is burning up peoples gaskets I will bet.
The heat/fire creeps through the three gaps the plate setter leaves exposed to the direct heat/fire and voila.
The gaskets and glue were just hanging there when I opened the lid. ( 600 temp )
I give up, no more gaskets for me. ( My food was starting to taste like 3M )
Gaskets are now for girly boys.
My gasket "less" XL performed just as well today not wearing a gasket.
Good lid seal I guess.
I'm guessing that XL's have the biggest loss of gaskets then other sizes where by raising the indirect cooking surface to a level that is parallel to the gaskets is the case.
Cook indirect higher up in the dome or lower in the tub.
Never ever at gasket level.
BGE should do the test, then just warn people in their operation manual.
Problem solved.
PS. If the dome temp is at 600.
Can you just imagine the temp just under the place setter then the heat/flame creeps up to gasket level.
It really must be off the chart.
No wonder glue melts and gaskets burn.

Comments

• Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    I have an xl. I use the placesetter and pizza stone for hi temp cooks. Also do a 750 deg cleaning burn with place setter and p stone in place. Nothing touches my woven ceramic gasket or hi temp adhesive.
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    I've got a Cotronics gasket waitin for when my stock gasket finally $%^$$ the bed. I wonder though, what impact, if any, will installing an aftermarket gasket have on the warranty?
  • delongs
    delongs Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't believe it...I just now had that exact same experience on our Large. We've had our Egg for less than a month. I have been trying lots of things, and thought it was due to my inexperience. However, yes, the plate setter and stone are the exact height to cause chaos...gasket coming of the edges, clinging to each other...ugh..!!! I'm trying your recommendation of going w/o the gasket.