Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finalized: Tonight\'s Dinner

Options
Ohatchee
Ohatchee Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everyone,

I'm going to smoke 2 racks of St. Louis cut pork spare ribs along with 2 racks of baby backs tomorrow. This will be my first go-around with my new large BGE. I have cooked many a slab on my Texas side chamber smoker with good results.

Should I expect the baby backs to cook any faster than the spare ribs? I would not think so as long as I keep the temperature around 225 for 4 to 4.5 hours.

For both sets of ribs, I plan to use the 2-1-1 approach.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I would guess that the Baby backs will be done a little sooner, thats been my experience. On the other hand all pieces of meat have their own personality and you should probably just take them off when each one is done.

Doug
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You will find the egg very easy to cook on compared to your steel offset, at least that was the case for me. It may take you a few times to learn to make the subtle adjustments needed. As for the ribs, probably about the same cook time, IMO. Not enough to worry about.
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    sounds great
    how will you do the placement in the egg. I would like to get a pic of that.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Ohatchee wrote:
    Everyone,

For both sets of ribs, I plan to use the 2-1-1 approach.

Thoughts?

You mean the 3-1-1 approach......right?
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    I think he means how are you going to get 4 racks on the egg. Please post pictures when you start the cook

good luck
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Look over Carwash Mike's (CWM) Rib Class on Thirdeye's website. It is really good.

CWM ribs
  • Ohatchee
    Options
    Actually, I used a 2-1-1 approach with my offset Texas smoker. I realize it is normally called the 3-1-1, but I've had good success taking an hour out of the equation. However, I will say that I've typically cooked at a higher temperature from the get-go with my Texas smoker. If I'm able to regulate the BGE more quickly in terms of temp, it will likely be a 3-1-1.
  • Ohatchee
    Options
    In terms of setup, I will be sure to post a picture. I hit the ceramicgrillstore.com pretty hard this week and bought a Woo3 setup with some additional pieces. Should work nicely....I hope.
  • Ohatchee
    Options
    I'm changing things up and will be cooking 3 racks of spareribs....no baby backs this go around. However, I will still use the setup that I would use for 4 racks.

Here are the ribs in prep phase. They have been prepared St. Louis style with a coating of mustard and Dizzy Dust - Coarse Ground:

RibsPrepped.jpg
  • Ohatchee
    Options
    Here is the setup with 3 racks. This is my first BGE run with ribs since getting the BGE last weekend. I was able to regulate temperature really quickly. I'm very pleased with that aspect. What I have to get used to is not adding wood (like with my other smoker), which in turns generates more "visible" smoke.

Obviously, I had visible smoke at the onset of cooking on the BGE, but not much since. I assume that is par for the course unless I were to add a piece of oak or some wood chips, etc.?

Thoughts?

BGEatwork-ribs.jpg
  • Ohatchee
    Options
    And the final outcome...not bad for the first time out with the BGE:

RibsDone.jpg
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    looks great. thanks for the set up pics. more ribs the better on the egg.
  • Ohatchee
    Options
    Thanks....I plan to put some more chunks of oak and/or cherry in at start-up next time. I did not get quite enough visible smoke on this round. I like to see some for about 60 to 90 minutes of the actual total cooking time.