Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Guy

Options
Maynard
Maynard Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all. New guy here. I have been using a regular grill for the past 10 years, and now I have decided to make the plunge into the EggWorld.

I will be picking up my egg on Wednesday, and can't wait to get started. I have read/heard so much good stuff that I am antsy with anticipation. I actually had a rib dream last night.

I will be getting the Large Egg, and I need to know what eggcessories I will need. I plan on using it for grilling and smoking ribs, butts, etc. Where is the best place to buy said items?

I want to build a table, and found some good plans on NakedWhiz.com. Hopefully they are the best.

Thanks in advance for the help.... happy BBQing.

Comments

• Tony S.
    Tony S. Posts: 114
    Options
    Personally I would make sure that you get the platesetter and the pizza stone. TI also have the Vrib rack and an upright chicken holder. They are the things that I use the most. When you go pick up the EGG, you will see all of the eggsessories at the dealer. Be careful, it is very addictive and you can end up spending an eggsessive amount of money.

It will all be worthwile, but just be aware ...

Welcome to the fold, and happy EGGing...
    Manitoba, Canada Large BGE
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    welcome!!!

you will never regrett buying a egg

the two things that will help more than anything is

1) platesetter::: you can buy one where you buy your egg iti is a necessity for doing low and slow

2) a thermapen::: it is the best instant read thermometer on the market.. you can order one HERE

those are the only things that you really need if ytou decide to skimp on buying the thermapen you will eventually want one cause all others pale in comparison

once again welcome and congrats on buying your FIRST egg ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Welcome to egging, your life is about to change.
    As for accessories, I think an instant read thermometer is a must have. The only truly instant read I know of is the Thermapen. Pricey, but worth every penny. For low and slow you will want a leave in the meat temp probe, preferably wireless. You will need something to cook indirect. I have a plate setter and it works well, but some have said they have a spider from ceramicgrillstore.com, and place a pizza stone on it, and use that instead of a plate setter. Then for other cooks you will have the spider. You may want a raised grid, there are a few on the market, but again, I would suggest you check out the ceramic grill store.
    I built a table and pretty much followed the plans on The Naked Whiz's site. If I had to do it again, the only possible thing I may do differently would be to have the front open so the egg does not have to be lifted up and out of the egg. Even if you don't plan on tailgating with your egg, you may want to take it out to repaint or restain your table.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    In order of descending use, I use a weed burner with MAPP gas for starting, a grill extender (raised grill), thermapen, rib rack, and platesetter. I don't use the platesetter as often as many, but as I've started backing more, it has seen more use.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    Welcome to the BGE world! Man, are you going to love this thing. :P As for Eggcessories, you'll want a platesetter, ash tool, grill gripper for sure. Baking Stone, raised grid and v-rack should be on your list also. :whistle: Start budgeting for your second egg now too! :blink: You can put your old grill up for sale. You won't be needing that anymore! :woohoo:
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Welcome and you will get great advice on this site.Get friendly with your butcher and a good produce guy.Just have fun and try different things.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Maynard
    Maynard Posts: 55
    Options
    You are the second one to mention buying multiple eggs. Is this because of the need to do multiple things at once?

I was wondering how I'd do pulled pork and ribs. Crap... it took some convincing to get the wife's approval for one. (Maybe several meals will be all the convincing she needs)
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    You can do pulled pork and ribs with a multi tier set up. You can buy an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store (on my wish list) or get by with an old weber grate and some fire bricks, or nuts and washers, or beer cans....
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    It's been about 7 years since I bought my first egg. Out here in AZ. some stores sell the egg but then the dome thermometer, daisy top,grid lifter and ash tool are extra.

In some places the egg comes in a package deal including some or all of the above.

So if you're checking prices be sure to ask each dealer what is included, then at least you are comparing apples to apples.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    By having the dream about cooking ribs, you have already shown that you will be a valuable member of this cult.

I also agree with the Platesetter, Thermapen, and a remote thermometer (I use a Maverick ET-73) available for about $40 online at http://www.thekitchenstore.com/011502013733.html )

I bought a chicken stand for beer can chicken and used it once. I now have been sold on making Spatchcock chicken which just uses the grid.

An ash tool is very useful as is a wiggle rod which you could make yourself or buy a great one from Thirdeye's web site http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
    While on this site, you might also consider buying the thirdhand tool as well.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Options
    Best thing you can do is READ THIS SITE...OVER AND OVER AGAIN. There is a wealth of information and opinions. It takes awhile to get used to the new language and keep all the eggcessories straight in one's mind. I agree that the Thermapen is a necessity and I also got the ET73 combo meat/grill thermometer. Other things, such as how and with what you will raise the grill are as varied as the cooks...read, check referenced websites and get the differences clear in your mind. I would have made a few different decisions had I waited a couple of weeks - this group (cult) is very creative and you will learn something new every day.
    Happy Eggin'
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

GG
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    Welcome to the cult--I mean family. You will be amazed how much time, thought and energy can be put into this. So will your family. But they will lap it up! Good jobe getting the large-the best eggcessories are available for the large. I have been cooking on mine for a year and I am just now getting stuff. One thing I could not live without is the blow torch for lighting. One other thing I could not do without is this forum. You can learn so much from the expertise here. I look forward to your first cook!